PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wagenseil View Post
I've stuffed Fiddler's Green models printed on regular paper with TP, it does a good job adding stiffness.
Yes, but I worry about the weight downside. E.g., the wings might be stiff and notch-proof, but the wing roots will suffer more, to say nothing of landing strut wells. Also, because stuffing is 3D, the calculations change: moving from A4 to A3 increases the weight not to 200%, but 282.84%, assuming uniform density.
I have no idea when/if the weight penalty would negate the stiffness benefits, so Herky's project could be an interesting test.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Herky:
No one has said the "L" word yet. That is to Laminate your prints to another piece of cardstock, Some were in the forum is a thread about using plastic bags and an iron. I would hate to try with glue
Interesting discussion,
Miles
Old 08-17-2017, 09:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
Yes, but I worry about the weight downside. E.g., the wings might be stiff and notch-proof, but the wing roots will suffer more, to say nothing of landing strut wells. Also, because stuffing is 3D, the calculations change: moving from A4 to A3 increases the weight not to 200%, but 282.84%, assuming uniform density.
I have no idea when/if the weight penalty would negate the stiffness benefits, so Herky's project could be an interesting test.
thats my worry.wings with engines will be heavy for body.also fuselage tubes feel delicate using this weight at this size.can only try it and see what happens
Old 08-18-2017, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Have you ever thought of using expandable foam to fill the fuselage and wings? It's very solid when dry or cured. Should solve the problem of building big.

Papermate
Old 08-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Alan,
Can't you go back to the print shop and say, nicely but firmly "You screwed it up and I paid you anyway. Now I want you to print it at the correct scale at no charge".

What have you got to lose at this point?
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Alan,
Can't you go back to the print shop and say, nicely but firmly "You screwed it up and I paid you anyway. Now I want you to print it at the correct scale at no charge".

What have you got to lose at this point?
they gave me the big version at price of the small one so i thought i would take up the challenger
Old 08-21-2017, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruti View Post
175% is unlikely. If margins are proportional, width and height should increase by 41.42%, to a 141.42% total*. In practice, the printer might have set the margins to be constant (e.g., 1.5cm instead of 7%) instead of proportional, changing the fraction slightly.
I'm not sure about stuffing the model. In order to be of any substantial benefit, a weak material like TP should be packed fairly densely; wouldn't it add more weight than strength? I suspect a few cardboard strips, strategically laminated during the build, on pieces already folded/curved, would give a better cost (=weight) / benefit (=sturdiness) ratio.

* A4 is about 210mm on the short edge, and 297 on the longer one; A3 is 297 on the shorter edge, which is thus 297/210 - 1 = 41.4% longer. This ratio applies to all linear measurements of the model.
BTW in a previous post I wrote "141.42% greater"; that's obviously imprecise: I meant the A3 model would be 141.42% as large as the A4 version, therefore 41.42% larger.
Mine was pure guestimate looking at the model, however, i was wrong berfore and seems like i am now too
Old 08-22-2017, 05:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Measure the fuselage from the printshop print on A3 and figure the scale from that.