PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-29-2017, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Thanks so much, everybody! And I appreciate the rigging shots too. Today, however, you will see I've met my match in terms of what I can do with paper!

I started the engine by first making the crank case. Went together well but I didn't get the face plate quite right. It should be curved and mine is multifaceted. It will be ok, though. There are about 15 pieces to what you see here!

Then I started on three of the cylinders. Each one has several structural pieces inside and little bits on top for the beginnings of rocker arms and exhaust fittings etc. All fit well, though. Just take your time! The actual fit is amazing and only limited to how well you can cut small circles.

But when I got to the actual rocker arms and even tinier pieces...I think I met my match. Check these out (and these are not the smallest parts you are supposed to use!). To be fair, though, the absolute smallest parts are on the sheets as only optional...

There is nothing wrong the the design at all and there may be some people (read Ricardo) who could actually use all of this but it isn't me! My skill level needs some refining.

So I did try and use parts of the paper to make the tops of one of the cylinders but it has several (I mean about 8 pieces!) that I left off. I then added some pulled sprue push rods. Looks pretty darn neat.

I think now that I know I'm sort of inept at the tiniest of parts and lack the Ricardo-esque patience/skill, I'll cheat and make the other cylinder additives out of plastic sprue and the like. For me anyway, it will look much more acceptable. The rest of the model is so nice, i don't want it let down at this point.

A great ride so far and a really lovely kit.

Cheers to all,
Dan
Old 10-29-2017, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Using plastic and wire is not cheating.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
last I check each modeler sets his or her own rules to how they want to build... I say it's all good, wood, plastic, clay, fruits, vegetables, meats welcome one welcome all.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:09 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
There are few of us that excel at building with tiny parts. You have done very well, stop beating yourself up . I should build a/c so well.

Last edited by elliott; 10-30-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Very nice work.

How do you cut the little circles so beautiful and smooth? With a knife, or with a special tool?

YOAV
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 AM

Thanks, Everybody. I added a bit more to the engine last night and it is looking pretty dang nice.

YOAV: I was lucky in that some of the circles were the perfect size for a hole punch set I have. Otherwise, my circles cut by hand never look that great!

Ricardo: I did leave the wires a bit longer on the landing gear just as you suggested. It wasn't really needed on the wing supports as the surface to spread glue was pretty wide. It actually seems pretty dang strong!

More later with pictures,
Dan
Old 10-31-2017, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Impressive, you make a nice 'kite'.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:23 PM

Thanks, Mike. The kit makes you look good. It is a pretty cool machine.

I got it all done and it looks quite nice. I even got all the rocker arms on there! I did add some plastic bits but it's still 95% paper. My exhausts are insulated copper wire that was the correct thickness and they look the part. Two issues, though...

1) I painted the exhausts copper and I know that's likely wrong, but I kind of like the contrast. It's so dark under the impending cowling that I figure it will liven things up. And...here is the big one...
2) I put the darn exhaust on the wrong side of each cylinder! I only noticed after I'd carefully made sure everything was lined up, cemented to the nose and looked spot on. It's not coming off! SO I will just not tell anyone but you guys. Maybe no one will notice!

Here is the sequence of events.

On to the wheels next and then the dreaded cowling! Stay tuned...

Dan
Old 11-02-2017, 02:45 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Your engine looks awesome Dan. Wouldn't have known about the incorrect exhaust orientation if you hadn't mentioned it. Mum's the word, pass it on.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
I have to agree that engine is awesome big well done
Google Adsense