PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Don Boose's Avatar
Don Boose Don Boose is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 14,628
Total Downloaded: 68.07 MB
Terrific engine, Dan. Many aircraft had bronze or brass exhaust piping at that time.

The left-handed exhaust collectors are not at all noticeable - unlike the backwards engine cowlings I once produced: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/15767-post234.html (over the ensuing nine years, a very funny comment by Ron Spencer has disappeared and a few words dropped out of my post. Last line, graph 2 should read "I don't think I can explain THAT as battle damage.")

Anyway, your Spider and its engine look just grand.

Don



Don
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-02-2017, 11:17 PM
YOAVHOZMI YOAVHOZMI is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: kiryat yam
Posts: 2,902
Total Downloaded: 0
The engine looked excellent.

YOAV
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-04-2017, 04:42 PM
smithdr smithdr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Federal Way, Washington
Posts: 428
Total Downloaded: 112.12 MB
Thanks for all the encouragement. In the home stretch now!

Today I made the wheels/tires and added them to the spreader bar. Now it really looks cool and truly only needs the cowling.



Here we go!

Cheers,
Dan
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:37 PM
smithdr smithdr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Federal Way, Washington
Posts: 428
Total Downloaded: 112.12 MB
Evening, All!

Tonight, I finished the cowl...well, the initial fitting. I got some dapping tools which are these spherically machined rather robust hunks or metal with different diameters and I used multiple sizes to slowly roll the cowl petals into shape until they fit very close together even without glue. Then I very carefully applied glue with a brush and used tweezers to hold just a couple of petals together, let them dry and went on the the next set...etc. By the time I got all the way around, I got a pretty nice fit and it looks much better than I thought I could do! Here is a partial progression:





I still need to do a bit of trimming and I still think I shall coat the inside with epoxy and sand/prime the piece so the seams will be hidden. However, even if I just left it as is with just a little paint touch up, it would look nice and be for the "purist" paper card modeler. I'm chuffed, I must say.

More soon and thanks for looking,
Dan
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:03 AM
Mike1158 Mike1158 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,151
Total Downloaded: 297.99 MB
Very nice, a result anyone could be proud of.
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
  #56  
Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 AM
MacSongLi's Avatar
MacSongLi MacSongLi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,182
Total Downloaded: 207.30 MB
WOW, very nice work on the curves on that cowling.

Gary
__________________
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything"
- Wyatt Earp
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Burning Beard Burning Beard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Red Bluff, CA
Posts: 521
Total Downloaded: 110.47 MB
Very nice. I can see how you are conflicted on the cowling, it looks good the way it is.

Beard
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Royaloakmin Royaloakmin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Windsor ON
Posts: 1,126
Total Downloaded: 0
I think I would sand and paint. I'd also try the other version, then compare them. You got the seams together very nicely.
__________________
Fred Bultman
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-11-2017, 05:54 PM
smithdr smithdr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Federal Way, Washington
Posts: 428
Total Downloaded: 112.12 MB
THANKS Mike, Gary, B.Beard and Fred!

So here is the cowling progress. First, I filled the inside with epoxy and then this morning, lightly sanded the petals:


Then I filled with Tamyia putty:


And kept sanding, priming, sanding, priming etc...



Until finally...


I then cut out the bottom for the engine and painted the inside and out with black. I'll post the beast all done later tonight! Looks pretty neat-oh.

Thanks to you all for encouragement. I have a flying boat, a large Albatros recon aircraft and the only Albatros rotary machine and a Hannriot all waiting This little guy was such a joy to put together and really looks so neat, I may tackle one of those next.

The Spider will look great next to my WNW Snipe!

Cheers,
Dan
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Mike1158 Mike1158 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,151
Total Downloaded: 297.99 MB
I know many will think this sacrilege but the aluminium top from yoghurt pots might make suitable cowling for rotary engined WWI types, and would reduce sanding etc. A spoon and a former might just be enough. As I wrote this I was quite aware that I have not posted any builds as yet but this might also work for tank and car parts too.
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 8.70%
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2007-17, Paper Modelers.com