PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-27-2014, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com

Hi All! I have been on hiatus for many months and many reasons but now trying to make a comeback in aviation (previously ships). I've browsed around the site and found no threads on the Boeing SA-307B of 1940 vintage so thought that I'd try this model. Even though I'm a retired airline guy, this model is of a subject that was in use even before MY time, but quite appealed to me and to this point, has been great fun. Now I'm no pro and have made mistakes already but I will carry it to the end and then will come a re-do after learning the error of my ways and adding some ideas of my own. Let me know if I'm treading over previously published material on this site, and I'll bring it to a halt!
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-9-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-10-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Even if it was a previously covered build, we like seeing other builders' take on the subject. Good luck
Old 06-27-2014, 03:54 PM

Thanks Vermin_King. Ok, here we go.

First three photos are parts 1 thru 5 from sheet 1....and the beginning of my biggest mistake. After assembly of the fuselage, I realized that the tabs attached to the fuselage sections would not make a nice tight fit of the sections. They should be cut off and separate tabs supplied, found in the back pages of the kit used in their place. I was too far along to realize this stupid mistake, as this is my first attempt at large aircraft. So I will carry on, and in the end, a re-do will be in order.
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-12-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-13-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-14-.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 05:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
I'm very happy to see someone build one of the Stratoliners. From the photos you posted it is looking good thus far. Feel free to drop me (or ScottK) a line if you have any questions or problems. I Look forward to seeing your progress.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
tincan871, I can't see mistakes, the nose looks great. Nice and clean.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense
Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
Ditto what John said, I'm very happy to see your build as well. i'll be watching with great interest, and will be glad to answer any questions you might have as well.

Scott K.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Thanks John and Scott for your interest. I, no doubt, will have several questions before I'm done and your input will be most appreciated.

and MacSongLi....thanks for the kind words.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:41 AM

Sheet 2 Fuselage sections fore and aft of center.
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-15-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-16-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-18-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-19-.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 06:53 AM

Now these 4 sheets are the difference between a mediocre guild and a great build. These tabs would make a big difference in tightness and overall fit.
Please do NOT make my mistake. I overlooked completely using these parts and used the attached tabs already included on the build sheets. I was so excited to begin that I didn't even realize replacements were included as the last 4 sheets of the instructions.

So I will continue as best I can. Actually, I plan a re-do anyway to open the cabin door and scratch build a partial interior near the doorway entry area and place the hostess figure at the top of the boarding stairs. Does anyone have photos of the entry area?
Attached Thumbnails
Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-1-18-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-4-3-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-3-5-.jpg   Boeing SA-307B Stratoliner by ecardmodels.com-photo-2-19-.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 62.27 MB
Hello tincan871,

An interesting thread on one of this clasic airlines. Don't let the tabs problem to hold you back.
In my builds I always cut the tabs and half boned them to the part, also paint the edges of the bonded parts, so, if there is a gap in bonding, it will be less thin.
Will follw you thread with interest,

Shalom Mor
Google Adsense