PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1/72 Martin-Baker MB2

I purchased this model of the Martin-Baker MB2 from Roman Vasyliev's site. It's part of his "Rare Pearls" collection. Information on this interesting airplane can be found here Martin-Baker MB 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Assembly was very straightforward with no problems to report. I used joining strips to assemble each fuselage section, and then butt glued the sections together with paired bulkheads. There are only a few extra details added to the stock kit: from fine lead wire I fashioned the "stirrup" (I'm not sure of the correct term) which hangs down just aft of the portside wing. I decided to punch out the 24 exhaust ports for a bit more realism, and I cheated and used thin plastic rod for the eight wing machine guns, rather than taking the time to roll the kit provided paper ones. As an experiment, I coated the opaque canopy "glass" with clear gloss acrylic. I think it adds something to the model. I didn't like the look of those really wide flat kit propeller blades. They're authentic, but they seemed so out of place on the MB2's otherwise super-sleek airframe, that I made up a prop disc instead. The airplane is grounded, so we'll all just have to assume that it's taxiing up to the runway

I made up one of my paper bases textured with a burl woodgrain to sit the finished model on. The groundwork is very basic - a kidney-shaped area was blocked out with earthtone acrylic paint, coated with acrylic matte medium and, while still wet, a layer of static grass was sprinkled on.

I still don't have a decent digital camera, so the photos aren't very good.

Summary: The fit and finish of this kit is up to Roman's usual high standard - flawless. It's a really interesting subject, too. I've built several of his 1/72 models now, and have been very happy with the outcome each time. I can't quite say that his models build themselves, but I wouldn't be too far off.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Martin-Baker MB2-mb2front.jpg   1/72 Martin-Baker MB2-mb2overall.jpg   1/72 Martin-Baker MB2-mb2side.jpg   1/72 Martin-Baker MB2-mb2rear.jpg   1/72 Martin-Baker MB2-mb2closeup.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Your usual excellent presentation of a very fine model, Don.

Roman has surely provided us with a lot of really fine 1/72 and 1/48 models.

Don
Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
If these are "bad" photos, what would a good camera do? This is an excellent build and really good photos too!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Is this a nano-built plane?
I cannot imagine how you managed to make the guns on the wings!
Old 07-06-2009, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Fantastic... Museum quality!!!
Google Adsense