PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-04-2017, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool Mirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale

After seeing the multiple builds of Yoav's rendition of the Dassault Mirage 3Cj in the Israeli Air Force camouflaged scheme, I just had to build it and add to my collection including his excellent models.
Mirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-dsc_0161.jpg

As you may know, this is a labor of pure love and extreme generosity that he provides the kit free of charge to the model community. As such, please continue to cite his designs when you build it.

Here is a link to his files hosted by DGA paper models
DGA Home Page

Click on his name and select the model you wish to download. Please note that all his models are in 1/30 scale ( not 1/33 or 1/32 ). So if you wish, you can scale the model down to suit your wants.

Also, on the same site is Yaron's repaints of some of Yoav's model. Those offer alternate colors as well as external loads and a landing gear configuration ( which will modify the original design ).

as a reference, here are only 4 builds of this model, but there are many more:

Erik's
Yoav's Mirage 3C 1:33 scale

KW Kim's
Mirage 3c

Josef's
Dassault Mirage IIIC (Shahak), YOAV HOZMI, 1:33 - www.sc2web.net

Yaron's version in silver
mirag III - yoav's model 1:30 - silver scem

Yoav provides simple models and simple visual instruction suitable for the average builder.

More to come.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 12-04-2017, 10:52 PM

Smile One of my favorite aircraft

The Mirage is one of my favorite aircraft. Both in looks and performance. It is the best looking delta winged aircraft by far. In addition it served in many air forces and many variants.

I have built this aircraft in plastic multiple times and versions. Here are some:
Mirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5677.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5676.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_4990.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_4984.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_4831.jpg

As usual, I research the aircraft before I build them, so here is a bit of reference material:
Mirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5670.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5671.jpg
Mirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-cut-out-pic.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-mirage.jpg

and here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Mirage_III

and in French
Shachak*

Of interest to me is that the Frence added the letter "J" to the Israeli Mirage 3C and it became the Mirage 3CJ. The J was for Jewish which I find strange that they did not name it the Mirage 3CI for Israeli. Not sure why Israel did not object to that designation ( or maybe they wanted it ).

In any case, there were many variants serving in the IAF including the 2 seater Mirage 3B as well as derivatives like the Nesher, Kfir, and long nosed recon versions. Many Mirages and those derivatives were exported as well.

Isaac
Old 12-04-2017, 10:57 PM

Exclamation The kit

Her is the printed kit.

I printed it on my Epson Workforce 630 ink jet printer using my remaining stash of Japanese high quality laser card stock A4 size at 160 gram weight.
Mirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5685.jpg

The pages here:
Mirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5672.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5673.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5674.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5675.jpg

and problems. Can you spot it?

Isaac
Old 12-04-2017, 11:05 PM

Unhappy The Pink panther strikes

I printed the pages and cut all the fuselage pieces. Then I noted that the tan color of the comouflage looked kind of pink. So I changed all the cartridges and the results were still pink. After many trials, I found the problem. I originally set the printer to 720 DPI ( which is photo quality ) and the paper type to premium. Apparently that "Premium" turned to colors to pink. The fix was to set the printer setting to Plain paper at 720 DPI and that was it.

See the comparison of the pink vs. tan
Mirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5683.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5682.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5681.jpgMirage 3C- Yoav model 1/30 scale-img_5680.jpg

I must remember it ( I think I did it before ).
I wasted 10 hard to get pages.
Oh well, don't worry, be happy

Isaac
Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
good luck Isaac with the new jet.

Do you spray the pages after printing?
because there are some type of sprays that also change the color of the print and turn it into a pink.

I use regular Americana spray, it is simply excellent and does not change the color of the print.

YOAV
Google Adsense
Old 12-05-2017, 01:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Isaac,

Good luck with this project, I will follow your build with great interest. I must say I printed my model on a professional color printer at work and the only option I had during printing was to select the paper weight, no premium or whatsoever. Colors were fine to me.

Spraying with varnish in advance is a good advice, ever since reading Yoav's building reports I'm spraying the model sheets with a light coat before starting to build. I'm using a different brand than Yoav (Talens) but also with no changes in color tone. Either matt or satin gloss.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 12-05-2017, 04:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Hi,
I am reading a lot here now on the Airplane site, because I like to be prepared as much as possible when I start an aircraft model. Is there a thread on here, which explains aircraft building in general, I mean the in- and outs, were to watch for, how to do it ??? I think you know what I mean, or do I have enough experience out of my ship building to build decent airplane model ??
For me, I feel it a little bit like a jump into the deep end !!

John.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMGD View Post
Hi,
I am reading a lot here now on the Airplane site, because I like to be prepared as much as possible when I start an aircraft model. Is there a thread on here, which explains aircraft building in general, I mean the in- and outs, were to watch for, how to do it ??? I think you know what I mean, or do I have enough experience out of my ship building to build decent airplane model ??
For me, I feel it a little bit like a jump into the deep end !!

John.
If you've built ships from paper, or other paper models, then I do not see any problem building models of paper airplanes.

However, my models have filmed instructions for each stage of the model, including written instructions, so I do not see a problem.
At the same time, in the construction instructions of my models, I add tips and recommendations to facilitate the construction and make it more convenient.

For example....
Link to the construction calendar of my Mirage.
https://goo.gl/photos/vLWz3mw3H4EyqfJq6

The construction log shows all the stages taken in the order of their construction, step by step, including intermediate stages.
From this construction diary, I choose the best shots and add instructions, tips and recommendations.

Here is a picture of the construction instructions of the vertical stabilizer.
Everything is readable and clear and there is almost no room for doubt or error.

YOAV
Old 12-05-2017, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
Thanks for your encouragement and indeed your instructions are very clear. So I should take one of your models first for the beginning, on the other hand they also look the best what I have seen, very clean lines and rivets etc. I already read from Erik Zwaan that he spays his models with varnish, this is also done by the ship model builders, but afterwards the build is ready, although not by me. I was thinking of using semi-gloss Epson paper to build my first model with and maybe spraying it afterwards with a thin layer of varnish, so it cannot break, as it did on Josef's model.

John.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:31 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOAVHOZMI View Post
good luck Isaac with the new jet.

Do you spray the pages after printing?
because there are some type of sprays that also change the color of the print and turn it into a pink.

I use regular Americana spray, it is simply excellent and does not change the color of the print.

YOAV
Yoav

I do not spray my models at all. I had two models sprayed with Americana in the past after printing and really did not like the residue they left.

The pink color was caused by the printer setting.

Isaac
Google Adsense