PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-06-2018, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Myasishchev M-55 'MYSTIC-B' 1/48 MaksArt

So, almost one week into the new year and here I go with my first big build this year.
Maxim gave us the fantastic model of the Myasishchev M-55 last year and I am going to try and build it. Not in 1/33, because I wouldn't know what to do with it and where to put it. Way too big. So I made it smaller. Two sheets on one A4 makes it roughly 1/48 now. 70% of its original size. Still huge, but doable.
Of course, Maxim splashes out on details. Teeny tiny parts all around. In 1/48 even more. I hope I can manage, since I wear glasses, my eyesight isn't that crispy any more...

I first cut all sheets into A5 sized ones, and spray-glued the frame parts to a cereal box. First time for me using spray glue, I was afraid that PVA would create a mess, drying too fast for me to spread the glue properly. With the spray glue it went well. But I don't like the stuff. I like my hobby a little more odorless.

Starting out with the parts numbered 1.1 and on, it was the nose section that was first. carefully cut out, the parts fitted like a glove. Perfect. Smoorth edges and all. I spotwelded them into place with some PVA. Next the pilot's tub. basic beginings, back, front bottom and sidewalls. Then the side consoles. Edge glued. Too small for self made glue strips. Tiny instrument panels cut out and placed on the consoles. Foot pedals (or foot rests?) on the cockpit floor. It was very tiny but I managed. Main instrument panel. What a beautiful little kit in itself. I used my smallest hollow punch but I also had to use a big hollow needle to punch out the smaller holes for all the gauges. Layer upon layer, and slowly a good looking instrument panel appeared. A dab of clear gloss acrylic paint on the gauges for a glass look.

Sewing pin for throttle handle, dab of gloss red for the knob. The stick was done from florist wire and a small bead on top.

The cockpit looks very nice. Next up is closing up the hull.
Attached Thumbnails
Myasishchev M-55 'MYSTIC-B' 1/48 MaksArt-p1110557-kopie.jpg   Myasishchev M-55 'MYSTIC-B' 1/48 MaksArt-p1110558-kopie.jpg   Myasishchev M-55 'MYSTIC-B' 1/48 MaksArt-p1110560-kopie.jpg   Myasishchev M-55 'MYSTIC-B' 1/48 MaksArt-p1110565-kopie.jpg   Myasishchev M-55 'MYSTIC-B' 1/48 MaksArt-p1110568-kopie.jpg  

Myasishchev M-55 'MYSTIC-B' 1/48 MaksArt-p1110574-kopie.jpg   Myasishchev M-55 'MYSTIC-B' 1/48 MaksArt-p1110576-kopie.jpg   Myasishchev M-55 'MYSTIC-B' 1/48 MaksArt-p1110580-kopie.jpg   Myasishchev M-55 'MYSTIC-B' 1/48 MaksArt-p1110581-kopie.jpg   Myasishchev M-55 'MYSTIC-B' 1/48 MaksArt-p1110584-kopie.jpg  

Old 01-06-2018, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
all I can say is looking good so far nice job
Old 01-06-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
all I can say is looking good so far nice job
Indeed, that is all we can say! (-; Hopefully the rest will be good as well.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
just keep the photos coming (-:
Old 01-06-2018, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
I would sell my soul for a larger paper model of the Bison
Google Adsense
Old 01-14-2018, 06:09 AM

Hi friends,
Sorry, I am going to abandon the build. I can't seem to get anything to fit. All the skins around the fuselage appear to be too short and the ends don't meet. It might be the thickness of the paper (160 gram) but I did the Zil with the same paper and that worked fine. I don't know what the problem is but it starts to drive me crazy.

It's probably me that is the wrong factor (Maxim showed a finished model) but I cannot really handle the frustrations I have with it. I use this hobby as a way to relax and clear my mind and most of the time it is exactly that. But at the moment it is just troubling me. Reason enough to stop this build and abandon it. I rather say it out loud and admit than not responding any more.

Maybe I will revisit this one at a later date, but then I start from scratch again.
Sorry! )-: