PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-29-2018, 06:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
You're doing a great job. She will be quite big.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 01-30-2018, 08:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi all back again

Thanks Gary and yes this is going to be a bit big
The tail fin in the photo is 12cm on it's own!!

Well got a bit more done tonight, as I said in the last post some of the tail section was not in line as it should be. I ripped it off and corrected the mistakes as the photo shows. I had to do this on this model or the rest of the test builds on it would have also been out.

The first photo shows the corrected body section with the static designed tail fin attached. It has not been glued into position yet until I finish the work on the rudder section for this fin.
Second photo shows the movable surface port fin under construction, the white spar inside the fin has yet to be glued into position. All the surfaces on this will work when finished.

The third photo just shows all the bits I have worked on tonight together

If you look at the photo's you will see the fins are of a darker tone than the rest of the model.
Well I use an inkjet printer and as we all know the ink runs, smudges and gives a bit of a problem with glue
The fist bits I didn't treat with anything at all, but I have been printing off the sheets for the second model I mentioned. After printing them off I found I had no fix it spray left. Me being me and can't wait I had a think of what I could use and found the can in the fourth photo.
Car Plan Clear Lacquer, I have a lot of it.
I took a sheet of the model I had printed in error and tested the stuff, hay presto it worked great. I gave it three quick coats, left it to dry for an hour.
To my surprise, it did not crack when bent, no bloom when sprayed, ink did not run and best of all I ran a paste brush across, left the glue to dry and it just peeled off leaving no mark. It also penetrated through the sheet and the parts seem to cut out cleaner as well.

I don't know if any of you have ever tried this stuff, but it seems to work very well?

Well enough rambling from me

Take care
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180131_011131.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180131_011107.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180131_011100.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180130_203413.jpg  
Old 01-30-2018, 11:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
G'day Rob, with all due respect you may call it rambling but I am going to take every bit of other people's tests I can. Please keep it up and I might even get my tanks designed and built.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:14 PM

Hi All

Mike don't think about it mate, just do it.
Doing this the hard way is teaching me a few things for sure and been a massive amount of fun.
I started this on a roll of wall lining paper, with just set squares, rulers and pencils. I had the Lancaster specs and line drawings pined to the wall. every time I thought of something I'd nip to the table and have a play with it.
(Here I must say I own my own business, buying and renovating houses for rent or sale) the boss never shouted at me for the loss of time
When I finished a building I could just roll it up and take it with me.

Here is the state of play for tonight.
The first photo shows the standard static tail fin with its rudder attached (no moving parts)
The second shows the starboard tail fin with moving flap and trim tab.
It has a length of 1.5mm wire running through it to hold it in place. The tab has a three small bits of fine wire mess embedded in the tab and glued to the flap.
The third shows the two side by side as a comparison, I'm working on the port rudder now to make movable as well.

As an idea as to size of this thing, the span on the tail is 31cm and the length of the body that has been built so far is 42cm long, it's big
The last photo is just a general shot across the span of the tail so far

Well take care all, off to have a nose around the other threads

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180131_210418.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180131_210427.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180131_210641.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180131_210511.jpg  
Old 01-31-2018, 06:35 PM

Very nice work, Rob. The separate control surfaces add nicely to the aircraft.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2018, 05:35 AM

Hi all

Just a quick update for now to show the rudders I have been working on.

Each will have 9 paper parts and a 1.5mm wire core for support.
I have started to put these together, the six small black and white strips will form the swivel (core of the hinge) the tabs on each section of rudder will wrap around these to make it all look seamless, I hope
The reason I have tried it like this, is the rudders will be hanging basically on the end of the pylons and have to hold their own weight, I don't want them sagging after spending hours putting this thing together.
If I can get finished at work soon enough I will post photos of them going together.

Regards

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Lancaster 1/33-avro-lanc-rudders.jpg  
Old 02-04-2018, 07:50 PM

Hi all

Been cutting and made an attempt at putting one of the rudders together.

The first photo is of the bearings being rolled for the joint.
Second shows how I intend to try to fit them together and the position they will take inside the rudder.
Third photo shows all the bearings in place and fixed to the inside.
Fourth photo shows one of the joints before they are fixed together.
Last photo is of one side, with the joint working in the way it should.
I have to leave this now to dry over night
When this is all dry tomorrow I will put the formers in and the other parts in between the joints that will hide the wire

Tomorrow I will also start the main model build as I think I have worked out enough errors to give it a go
I have enough parts tested, all the formers for the second one have now been cut out.
I will still be building this one, still lots to test, engine mounts, engine and most of the cockpit.
Should be fun having a shot at it anyway
Regards

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180203_181910.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180204_212312.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180205_003317.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180205_003834.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180205_003344.jpg  

Old 02-14-2018, 10:29 AM

Hi all

Well things have moved on a bit with this now, I have a few tweaks to the cockpit to work out and all the parts should be finished.

The fuselage has another part added and wing roots in place, ready to the inner wing section. I have yet to test build the under carriage, although on the screen it looks ok
The only bit still to be worked on is the connection between the landing gear and the wing, shown in the first image circled in yellow. It has to be strong enough. This I will try to work out today as I can't fit the inner wings till I do, alterations will have to be made to fit it all.
Second photo is of the wing roots and first of many ribs, needed to fit these now as the area will be sealed off when next section is fitted.
The third is just a loose first fit of the basic bomb bay.
As the computer work on this is drawing to a close I already have my eye's on the next idea
I already have most of the info I need, the only thing I'm short of for the Victor is a good set of hull section drawings. I do have some that I can use, but they are poor.
The test build goes on

Well enough till later, had a few work jobs cancelled till another day so lots of build time today

Regards
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Lancaster 1/33-ggggggg.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180213_163319.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180212_192019.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-64380_big.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-avro-vulcan.png  

Old 02-14-2018, 12:02 PM

Love the bomb bay, very nice added details. She's slowly coming together.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Nice progress, I spy a 400lb incendiary in that bay.
Google Adsense