PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-14-2018, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi back again

Just thought I would share a few of the errors it's easy to make and end up kicking yourself for
It's mostly printer problems and oversights due to my eyes going faster than my grey stuff
A classic error I've made twice today, forgot to take off the print to fit!!

Second I refill my own ink, well did it today with a new batch from a new supplier and hay presto the shades it give are not the same. Result two tone model.
So if you do fill your own ink, make sure they are full at the start and you have enough to finish the full print run for that model.
Lucky for me this bird is just to test parts and ideas on before the main build of the full thing.
The last photo show the results of using ink from two suppliers.

The bombs in the first photo shows another error I keep making.
Did the bombs and thought I'd got it on the ball first time built the first one and thought why is the inside of the tail white, AHHHH back to the key board and sort that little problem. I had to double it over, which then meant it had to be on thin paper not card or it would be to thick.

I should have an update on the rear turret by Friday, can't do it tomorrow as I'm off on a 650 mile round trip drive and will be in no fit state when I get home. I have finished the design and built the first browning with a hollow barrel, even though it looks like a mad man did it

Take care all

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180213_010239.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180214_235245.jpg   Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180214_130729.jpg  
Old 02-15-2018, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Coming along nice, I rally did mean a 4000lb incendiary, my fingers are faster than my grey stuff.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
4000 lb cookie wasn't it a blast bomb ?? any how your doing a fine job sir well done so far
Old 02-15-2018, 05:25 PM

Yes these things had up to five arming fuses and when dropped took out the roof and windows. I have so far found four versions of the same type of device.

Avro Lancaster 1/33-pic_cookie2.jpg
This is the one I have worked with, sorting out the linkage to the bomb bay tomorrow.
Just got in from a long hard day
The bomb loads had a few versions of a mix of bombs and incendiary packages.Avro Lancaster 1/33-lancaster_area_bombing_load_iwm_ch_18371.jpg
This one above was the most common to create the fire storm affect.
After these normal bombs would be dropped to spread the effect.
I have chosen to add 250 and 500lb bombs plus the roof buster.
Either way hell from the sky for sure

Rob
Old 02-15-2018, 07:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Rob,

beautiful work on the bombs. You've done a lot of research on them.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2018, 08:08 PM

Well I got this moving along a bit now.
Gun turrets are in the build stage now, both mid upper and rear turrets.
As soon as I have the browning guns finished (tomorrow with any luck) I can complete and install the turrets. Must remember to fit the tail wheel first

Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180219_000010.jpg

The photo shows a few of the bits I have been working on.
Wing section is the starboard inner wing, I have drawn a yellow circle round a black square box on the wing to show a very basic error I should not have made
Only on the starboard wing the Lancaster has a life raft stowage compartment, well I got the wrong place. It should be in the blue circled area, near the trailing edge.
The blast bomb now has it fuse points, the bombs have racks to fit them into the bay (blast bomb is held in by a wide strap).

Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180219_000235.jpg

This photo show the inner wing fits as it should
I chose to make the joint for the two upper and lower sections of the wing further back from the leading edge to make rolling it easy. With a joint on a curve it hard to get the roll correct, tried it and failed twice
As this one is the static version with no landing flaps I could have put the joint on the underside of the wing.
But on the port one it would have made the section weaker, what with the undercarriage and landing flaps, that to work require the last section of the engine/landing gear to drop with the flap, as in the photo

Avro Lancaster 1/33-1858_72451_02.jpg

Well enough from me, it's 2.05 am and the match sticks holding my eyes open are starting to bend with the strain

Hope to get some time on this tomorrow and Tuesday, with any luck

Take care all and have fun building

Rob
Old 02-20-2018, 10:32 AM

Hi

Had some time today so gave the landing flaps a first trial build.
below are the paper parts printed on very thin copy paper

Avro Lancaster 1/33-avro-lancaster0031.jpg
These are the parts I first posted in the welcome section when I first joined the forum.
I have now built the movable part of the flaps, the upper section is static to the underside of the trailing edge of the wing.

Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180220_145058.jpg

The opposite side already has the Black outer skin attached and as you can see the ribs fit

The next photo is of all the paper parts in place
Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180220_153045.jpg

Just have to glue these into place now, then build the static upper flap.
Will try to get this sorted later and attach them to the inner wing.
The Main wing ribs have to be altered from the basic static version to fit the flaps and movable cowl attached to them.

More later with any luck if you all can hack it And if my wife and kids leave me alone long enough. I say kids the youngest is 17, trogs would be a better description

Have fun and take care

Rob
Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 PM

Well here is the little bit more

Did get the static landing flaps sorted out and fitted to the test wing, just need to refine it all a bit. But basically all the parts fit and work.
This photo just shows the basics of the static flap ribs and set up.
Please ignore the printing inside the wing section, all these parts have been built from scrap card, as they will not be used on the final build.

Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180220_234352-1-.jpg

The photo below shows the finished flap in the closed position

Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180221_014915.jpg

This photo flap is in the open position, not a pretty build by far but has proven the parts fit as they should.

Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180221_015611.jpg

This section will now be hacked around to get the best fit for the movable pod and engine mounts, I hope

Its very late here now, totally lost track of time as you do with these things.

Take care all
Rob
Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Don't know how I missed the start of this thread. You've quite the challenge before you and you seem to be doing a great job handling it. Always had a weak spot for bombers so am interested and will be following along.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:23 PM

Hi all

At last I have got some of the turrets finished with the guns. they just need a few more little alterations.
Below are some of the parts used to make this
Avro Lancaster 1/33-avro-lanc-nose-internal-b.jpg

The first parts I made are the guns, very small to say the least
But I was able to make them with hollow barrels, they have been rolled round a very thin hat pin
Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180224_160315.jpg
And one with the pin out
Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180224_160331-1-.jpg

After this I but the base together with the formers that hold the guns in place with a very thin bit of copper wire, and they move.
then I did the cage canopy with the gun slots to go over the top.
One thing I did learn from this was to build the cage around the base and not as I did in two parts. I almost destroyed it all getting the two parts to come together. Well at least that's what this one is for to test build methods as well as fit.
Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180224_234029.jpg
The above photo shows most of the component parts that make up the turret and the blister on the top of the plane.
Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180224_212418.jpg
This one took a lot of screaming and shouting at it to make it all go together
I should have built it from the base up, not the way I did this one. It was murder getting the guns in and I still need to try the glazing in it
I have the template worked out for this and it should fit ok I hope.
Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180225_002457.jpg
This shows the turret in its blister, checking for fit.

Avro Lancaster 1/33-20180225_005227.jpg
And the last is it just a loose fit sitting in it final positon on the top of the mid section.
I have started the test build on the rear turret, outer wings, wing tips and now have the basics of a merlin engine with it mounts.
Still working out the best way of making the engine mounts, either from all paper, paper and wire or paper soaked in super glue. I will have to keep at that and see witch is stronger as I will not be able to use any of the normal types of formers with engines in the pods.
Well enough rants from me, very late as normal :rolleyes

Take care

Rob
Google Adsense