PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-03-2021, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Smile

Thanks my friend! Is very nice see a refurbinished Pe-2 I expect see you build with attention.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
I do like the Soviet subjects!
Old 12-03-2021, 09:08 PM

Smile

One of the things I enjoy is building my friends' projects and repaints on top of Bruno's models. This is the case of this Battle repainted by Butelczynski, representing one of the machines of the 301th Squadron of the RAF of the Polish Air Force in Exile.

With the fall of France, a large contingent of Polish aviators who had fought in the Armee d'l'Air fled to England and there they organized squadrons of Polish aviators integrated into the RAF, which during the Battle of England were essential to curb the advance of the Luftwaffe, with his extensive experience in combat that began even in the German invasion of Poland, the fighter and bomber squadrons after many reserves of the English military authorities came into action in the third phase of the battle of England having very expressive numbers, surpassing even in the number of downed planes, several units of the Commonwealth.

The fury and boldness of the Polish pilots drew a lot of attention, even overshadowing many RAF units which caused some embarrassment, but the desperation for pilots trained in the difficult months of 1940 made it simply a stroke of luck for the RAF to have these men.

The repaint that Karol produced represents one of the Battles used by the RAF 301st Bomber Squadron, which was used in the Battle of England to lash out at the French docks that were being used to prepare for the invasion of the British Isles. Initially given the British distrust older equipment for combat was provided, so the actions of the Battle piloted by Poles was one of the last first line activities of this plane as a light bomber, heavy losses, led to their being replaced by Wellingtons.

My research used the following books to support my construction.

To build my Battle I used the fuselage that Karol repainted with the modified parts from my kit that you can see the previous build here. The Battle designed by Bruno is a second generation model, which needs some care when building, in the photos below the first steps of the assembly.

Note that this time I used marker pens to paint the white corners. To adjust the wings that have a slight positive dihedron I like to mount them together with the fuselage core which allows for better viewing and adjustments.

Updates soon...
Old 12-03-2021, 09:13 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
I do like the Soviet subjects!
Me too, me too!
Old 12-04-2021, 01:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
It is always educational to see your builds, from the research, the cutting, the assembling, to the finished model. Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireandpaper View Post
It is always educational to see your builds, from the research, the cutting, the assembling, to the finished model. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you very much! I have been trying to generate more added value to my constructions, filling them with data and curiosities, as I have a good library on aeronautical subjects and subjects (this library has been formed since 1985) So I have also tried to demonstrate the use of these references.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:45 AM

Resuming Fairey Battle building.

Yesterday we held a meeting (still virtual) of my modeling club, I took advantage of our lively conversation via Zoom to fix another section of the fuselage and the wing fillets, which is a piece I designed myself, the collage is very delicate being made by segments, notice how the piece is formed before being glued.

Updates soon...
Old 12-04-2021, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
In spite of its modest operational record, I have always liked the Battle and am glad to see you building that airplane. I VERY much appreciate all the background information.

Incidentally, I am using your build photos and narrative in an attempt to build Brent's V-156. We shall see (in a separate thread, of course) what happens.

Meanwhile, I am following this build closely.

Don
Old 12-04-2021, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Your Battle is coming along nicely. Thank you for building it.

Battle is mentioned in number of memoirs of Polish pilots i read.All of them had prior experience in Poland on all metal PZL.23 Karas and French Potez and Bloch bombers so Battle felt like a downgrade,however this was the only one available at the time. Soon enough surviving crews were retrained on Vickers Wellington but that's another story.

I think Czech bomber crews of 311 Sqr were also trained on Fairey Battles but never went operational on them. For them it was a stepping stone to Wellingtons.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:30 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
In spite of its modest operational record, I have always liked the Battle and am glad to see you building that airplane. I VERY much appreciate all the background information.

Incidentally, I am using your build photos and narrative in an attempt to build Brent's V-156. We shall see (in a separate thread, of course) what happens.

Meanwhile, I am following this build closely.

Don
Thanks Don, for your constant support. I'm very happy that my constructions can serve as an incentive and help for your constructions from other friends here on the forum. I am very honored that you appreciate my simple research, you are an inspiration for this indeed.