PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-25-2018, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Two fun builds with Zio-planes

After I got quite a bad mood for having to abandon the M-55, I needed some fun stuff to build. Just for building and not for trying the best you can. I mean, this hobby mainly needs to stay fun. The joy of creating something out of a flat sheet of paper.
So what would be better than just grab myself a couple of little models of Fabrizio Prudenziati? I always have tons of fun making them.
This time I started out doing the basic version of his Gloster Gladiator. I have kind of gotten the biplane flu, I guess, most of my planes are prop-driven biplanes.
These builds are two-day sessions of 4 to 5 hours. using the laptop with some new (and old) music, i just happily fiddle away an forget time.

So here we went. Fuselage, curling the sides with a cut-off knitting needle, glueing the edges. The wings and all loose elements were fitting well and I really started to enjoy myself again.

I like my props to be able to run, so I usually get out my little box of beads, put them on a sewing pin and pop them on with the propeller and the flat engine part. The beads provide a smooth surface for the prop to keep rotating easily.

The struts were as usual a little bit of a trial but I used white PVA that was just a little drier than straight out of the tube so it stuck quite well. I first did the bottom wing, glueing all the struts together, hoping I would get the top wing readied before the glue would be dry. And I did. Just tiny dabs of glue on the tips of the struts, the inner ones go first, and keeping the plane in a soft but steady grip with one hand, I put the outer struts (that I kept a in an angle a little more steep to prevent touching the wing) into their places.
And there was part one, the Gladiator.
Attached Thumbnails
Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110587processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110590processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110591processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110593processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110597processed.jpg  

Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110600processed.jpg  
Old 02-25-2018, 01:09 PM

Up next was one of Zio's larger planes, a Caproni CA-133. I already had taken a look at this plane a couple of times in my digital stash and I often wanted to print it and make it. Now was the time. I chose the one with the tackiest livery; the panther print. It reminded me a little of the mediterranean nouveau riche jet set so I nicknamed my plane the Gucci-bomber.

The fuselage was a little flimsy. I built it in 160 gram paper and the cockpit parts were, to say the least, tricky. Very tiny strips kept the window section connected. How it should come together also was a bit of a riddle because Zio didn't provide this kit with any kind of instruction.

The square fuselage went together quite easily. I added light cuts over the rear part of the fuselage to accentuate the ribbing a little. Don't forget to put in the black box first! it is to give a little depth to the gunners' pit on top. I had to fiddle it in through the wing opening. You don't need to worry about the wing, it will fit in later, if you do it carefully.
Closing up the fuselage, I discovered Zio's ingenuity again, this construction is very well made. The cockpit window section is the hardest part of the main section. If that is closed, the rest is easy-peasy.
I did add a little cardboard reinforcement inside to keep the fuselage square and make it less wobbly. The single wing can be pryed in with some careful wiggling and pushing. Over the wing top goes a little square piece of panther print and all is locked up.
Attached Thumbnails
Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110607processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110608processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110612processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110614processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110616processed.jpg  

Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110619processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110621processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110622processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110623processed.jpg  
Old 02-25-2018, 01:23 PM

Time for the props. Two nacelles floating between wing and fuselage and one prop in the nose. The nacelles are petaled, and that always is a little hard and messy. This time was no difference but I still was happy enough with the result.
The props and engines are made up out of several components, a disc with the cylinders printed on, valve struts, and the prop itself. I added a card backing with a hole for a bead to put a pin through. In the back I glued a big black bead to the card. The little beads were kept unglued and used as smooth surfaces to let the prop rotate easily.
I first build up the entire propeller section before edge glueing it to the nacelles.

THe wheels are a curiosity, with the streamlined covers hollow and just the lowest part of the wheels as little sickle moons glued on. The wheels are in a bit of a O-legged stance, with the wheels set slightly inward. Strut time.

Now Zio made his struts a little too short and a couple were missing. I used some photos and drawings from the web to make my own. The small V-shaped struts from the nacelle to the wing were missing, and the ones that go from wing root to nacelle were to short. I decided to do them all myself. I painted them in a grey colour afterwards.
This way, the struts and nacelles went on easily and the end result was a nice plane that gave me lots of fun to build.
Attached Thumbnails
Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110628processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110630processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110632processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110635processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110637processed.jpg  

Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110639processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110641processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110644processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110648processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110652processed.jpg  

Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110654processed.jpg   Two fun builds with Zio-planes-p1110646processed.jpg  
Old 02-25-2018, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
A colleague's pleasure. My first model was a Zio Albatross, from there I fell in love with modeling on paper, as a sheet of paper transforms into an incredible model. And Zio's models have a special charm. Your constructions look great , very clean, congratulations. A greeting
Old 02-25-2018, 07:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Nicely done on those, mojo and back come to mind. Stay well dood.
Google Adsense
Old 02-25-2018, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Simply fabulous.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 02-25-2018, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
The Caproni CA-133 is certainly a very interesting plane rarely depicted in any media.
Very good job.
The plane is very tricky specialy the struts and as you mention the cabin.
I had to put mine on hold, but after your model I am considering restarting the project.
Thank you for sharing!
Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Excellent job on both....
Old 02-26-2018, 03:10 AM

Thanks, friends!
Old 02-26-2018, 07:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
The few Zio's I have built have also benefited by a little internal help. You have made a great start.
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense

Tags
biplane, caproni ca-133, fabrizio prudenziati, gloster gladiator, zio