PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-13-2018, 08:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 669.56 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
Build is looking very good. Here is some inspiration courtesy of the Yanks Air Museum.
Works for me. The only Peril I’ve seen is at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. I think these are really good-looking planes. I’d love to know how they fly. There are a few original videos on YouTube.
Jon
Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 PM

I assembled the struts and put the top wing on the plane. It really helped to wrap the struts around fine wires (as I noticed in papermate's beta build thread). It is so much fun to assemble a model on which the parts fit correctly and don't require any fiddling.
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's Models N3N Canary-struts.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 10:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Somebody else sent me this picture:
Murph's Models N3N Canary-18679223_10212800723722065_543523346_n.jpg
Old 03-15-2018, 09:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
This is a great build... I shied away from building it because of all the struts... I hate struts!!!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:33 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
That is turning out really well - you are doing a splendid job!
Old 03-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Time out to fix a glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco View Post
This is a great build... I shied away from building it because of all the struts... I hate struts!!!
Ah yes. Struts. As I mentioned above, I struggled with the sponsons and finally got two of them that were at least presentable. I went to attach them last evening and it turns out that they both fit the same wing. As nearly as I can figure out both of the sponson templates on the plan are for the same wing. The little slits for the struts are the same on both sponsons. I thought I could remove the struts but they were attached to stay, with thin wire embedded and glued into the sponson. The result was similar to what I understand would happen in real life if you dug a sponson into the water at high speed.

I’m finishing a replacement sponson and will mount the struts in reverse. I don’t mind the extra work because it’s just a hobby and I have time. I don’t really care how long it takes to build my models. It’s enjoyable and very educational. Here are a couple of pictures illustrating what I mean.

I hope that if I misread the plan that someone will set me straight. I never noticed until trying to attach it.
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's Models N3N Canary-cf7c90e2-4f9d-445e-b836-171361e65bef.jpg   Murph's Models N3N Canary-21763678-0d5d-4a73-ba23-1a043d3977ef.jpg  
Old 03-16-2018, 03:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You are doing great work on this model of a beautiful* and historic airplane.

The float issue is odd because Papermate beta tested the N3N and built several of these models, and he should have caught the issue. Perhaps he did and you obtained an early and uncorrected model. If Papermate is still guarding this push, perhaps he will weigh in.

*The N3N is very pleasing to my eye, and I think the word "beautiful" fits, but with all the struts and floats it also verges on being Fomby, a term invented by me and my friend Jim Reuter (JimR in this Forum and a retired Smithsonian model builder) when we were teenagers in the 1950s to describe any piece of machinery that is ugly, but appealing -- A-10s, Russian tanks with more than five turrets, 1920s Mack and Scammell trucks, Victorian battleships and armored cruisers, Fairey Barracudas, many steam engines, and almost any Fleet Air Arm aircraft of the 1920s and 30s except the Fairey IIIF and the Hawker Nimrod.

It came from a side view in the Harleyford book on aircraft camouflage of an RAF Coastal Command Wellington with stickleback antennas, a chin radar, and Leigh light installation, and having the unit code "MBY" and the aircraft letter "F" so that, with the roundel, it spelled out "FOMBY."

"It certainly IS Fomby," said Jim.

And so it was, and so I continue to use that useful term.

Don
Old 03-16-2018, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the positive words, Don.

I find it a beautiful airplane, too, particularly in the floatplane configuration. It strikes me that when the airplane was operational everyone who flew in it was anxious to get somewhere else. The cadets wanted to graduate to something fast and glamorous and the instructors might have been counting the days until they were reassigned to do something other than teach a repetitive training curriculum. Imagine the maintenance it took to haul them out on their cradles, hose the salt off, and then fix whatever broke that day. I’m sure they took a beating and didn’t look anything like the restored museum pieces we see today.
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's Models N3N Canary-29452795-9e02-4fde-9ae6-6db8d06b89ce.jpg  
Old 03-16-2018, 05:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
About the glitch of the floats on the wings that appear to be right-sided, I had brought this up to Aaron in August 2016 and he was aware of fixing it. May be he released the wrong copy.

The remedy is that, if you know how to use Photoshop, you can highlight one of the right floats, duplicate it and then flip it horizontally. That was what I did.
The other way is for Aaron to issue a correction page on his website. It seems that he had issued a correction page about this some time ago. If my memory fails me, then it's time that Aaron issued it again.

Papermate
Old 03-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Many thanks, Papermate. I went to see if my copy had been corrected and was shocked to discover that I don't own this one yet.

Jon - You clearly did NOT misread the model.

Don
Google Adsense