PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-16-2018, 08:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 671.41 MB
Thanks papermate and Don.

I took papermate‘s advice and flipped a selection of the sponsons and printed them. My pace is pretty slow anyway so I don’t mind making another part and a set of struts but I know others might not feel that way.

While cutting and gluing I entertained myself watching Dive Bomber referenced above. Lots of beautiful planes, and not an oil stain on a belly to be seen anywhere. The navy pulled out all the stops for it. Well worth a look.

I could see why whenever you see a floatplane version the engine is running before they roll it into the water. Didn’t have an electric starter. See the screen shot. They cranked a flywheel and then pulled the knob to crank the engine. In the movie the engine fired the first time.
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's Models N3N Canary-080dccfa-175d-4785-8c30-2c1392804d0d.jpg  
Old 03-16-2018, 09:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I thought I did fix it, but apparently I didn't. I'm working on a fix now, and I'll get it up ASAP.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:07 PM

Getting back on track

I mirror-imaged the sponson and built one that fit the wing. Still have a few odds and ends but it’s getting there. This is an enjoyable model to research and build. Just buy an extra tube of patience and it should go fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's Models N3N Canary-66705110-be76-4873-801c-c0c8c08b59a8.jpg   Murph's Models N3N Canary-8e18a820-b962-4e72-bd11-2abde463b284.jpg  
Old 03-20-2018, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks terrific.

Did you ever read Dive Bomber by Robert A. Winton? Only connection with the film is that they cover a similar period. Winton, a journalist, signed up for the Navy Reserve cadet flying program and, just before the war, wrote a book about his experiences. He describes all of his training and deployments (flying F4Bs) aboard carriers. Good description of flying N3Ns for floatplane training.

I read the book when I was in junior high school and eventually obtained a copy, which I still reread with pleasure. My aviator friends have found the insights into 1940-41 flight training and flying to be fascinating (another great book that has been an eye opener for my aviation contemporaries, especially fighter pilots, is Charles Nordhoff and James Norman Hall, Falcons of France. A fictionalized account of an American serving with a French fighter squadron in WWI based on Nordoff and Hall's own experiences flying with the Lafayette Flying Corps, the organization that administered Americans serving with French aviation, those of N124 [the Lafayette Escadrille] and those, like N and H's hero, serving with French units).

Dive Bomber is illustrated with beautiful pen and ink sketches.

During the war, Winton wrote another book about wartime naval aviation. Both his books seem to have disappeared without a trace, although I found a hit on Amazon for Air Base by Boone Guyton (Sikorsky F4U Corsair test pilot) based on his pre-war Navy experience: https://www.amazon.com/Air-Base-Boon.../dp/B010WS6UQC

Sorry for the digression, but your beautiful N3N prompted a trip down a literary memory lane.

Don
Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
The model is really coming along nicely. I hope that I do as well when I build mine.
Google Adsense
Old 03-20-2018, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Looking good C9B. How could anyone not love the period of aviation that produced stuff like the N3N?

As Butelczynski points out, the colour flying shots of this plane in the Dive Bomber movie are brilliant. It was this movie that made me aware of the 'Yellow Peril'.

Can't wait to see your completed build.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Looks VERY pretty. I really like the renderings on that one. It somehow looks like the pontoons are absolutely necessary!

Neat job.

Dan
Old 03-20-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
As Butelczynski points out, the colour flying shots of this plane in the Dive Bomber movie are brilliant. It was this movie that made me aware of the 'Yellow Peril'.
Thanks, Rata.
I guess you didn't realize that my N3N was in the movie. Here is the sailor cranking the inertia starter to get it going.
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's Models N3N Canary-hand-crank.jpg  
Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Looks terrific.

Did you ever read Dive Bomber by Robert A. Winton?

Don
Don,
Thanks for the tip on the books and the additional information. If I read Dive Bomber it would have been as a youngster as well—I read all of those books I could get my hands on.

It strikes me that some of the great heroes of World War II, like the dive bomber and torpedo bomber pilots who fought and died at Midway, would have trained in this plane prior to the outbreak of war. They were the professional naval and Marine Corps aviators who had the courage to go out and do their duty when called upon.

I included a couple of pictures and information about two such people here. One was an unlikely person—a twenty-year-old woman who worked as an engine mechanic early in the war. She retired as a lieutenant commander in the reserves years later after serving as a WASP pilot during WW II and Korea. Mary Farley Tilton passed away in 2012 at 90. Read about her here: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...sephine-tilton

A Marine Corps captain, Richard E. Fleming, trained in my plane while at Pensacola. He lost his life attempting to dive bomb a Japanese cruiser at Midway. For his valor, his mother received the Medal of Honor from President Roosevelt on his behalf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_E._Fleming

These are two fine people who were involved with the N3N when it was active. There were thousands more, of course. I salute them all.

These historic airplanes become more than models when we remember the results of the training the pilots took with them into the fleet. You're not the only one who can digress, Don. Thanks for all the encouraging words during building.
Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's Models N3N Canary-mary-josephine-farley-who-20-considered-top-notch-mechanic-working-wright-whirlwi.jpg   Murph's Models N3N Canary-richard20fleming.jpg   Murph's Models N3N Canary-woman-mechanic-w-peril.jpg   Murph's Models N3N Canary-fleming-cockpit.jpg  
Old 03-20-2018, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
I just had an epiphany... replace the struts with 1/16 balsa painted to match. Should be much easier to build because you can trim to you liking to get a good fit. Any purist out there wanna say something?
Google Adsense