PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-11-2018, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
N1K2-J Shiden Kai, Halinski

Well this plane is another on my long wanted to build list, and I hope I am up to it, if not this may be more a kit review, HA...
I first purchased the Model Hobby kit, and I think would be fine to build, but noticed some advantages to building the Halinski version, so I bought one from Poland, shipped in about 2-3 weeks, which is ok.
This aircraft likely doesn't need much introduction for many here, but was clearly a fine fighter, competing very favorably with Hellcats, Corsairs, despite tremendous odds and poor fuel. Initially a float plane, the Kawanishi company developed the N1K which was good but not great, with poor undercarriage and sluggish a bit most of these issues corrected with this new developed design and the new Nakajime Homare 18 cylinder engine. Kawanishi kept the automatic flaps, which enabled this aircraft to out-turn both Hellcats and easily Corsairs.
Many of the numbered aircraft were flown on an as available basis rather than assigned to specific pilots from the famed 343 Kotutai, so I wanted to make a unique numbered plane, also wanted to lessen the weathering on the Hal kit, surely the paint was new at one time, so hoping to repaint the fuse not completed with this yet.
Attached Thumbnails
N1K2-J Shiden Kai, Halinski-img_1846.jpg  
Old 03-11-2018, 11:32 AM

Starting with the hard parts, I much prefer and enjoy building a radial engine, although these from Halinski are a bit harder than some, in fact I botched it badly with my Oscar, oh well, I had built a decent version for the Zero, so with some studying up I figured out a decent way to build it. First building the cylinder upper, they are interesting in design, and then the valve head covers, because have to make quite alot of them, glued the cylinder bases to the engine block and then put on the upper cylinder parts, when dry inserted wire for the push rods since the rear row push rods face rearward am debating with myself to putting them in... unless I make the prop removable to view.
Attached Thumbnails
N1K2-J Shiden Kai, Halinski-img_1835.jpg   N1K2-J Shiden Kai, Halinski-img_1836.jpg   N1K2-J Shiden Kai, Halinski-img_1838.jpg   N1K2-J Shiden Kai, Halinski-img_1839.jpg   N1K2-J Shiden Kai, Halinski-img_1840.jpg  

Old 03-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Glen! I JUST got this one about 3 weeks ago and am trying to get more experience before diving in. Your build will be super helpful. Maybe I can get mine going and we can do a tandem build!

Or not...lots on the fire. Anyway, this will be great to watch and good luck!

Dan
Old 03-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Ha that's cool, at least some methods on the itty bitty parts may be helpful for you or others working on these kits. I generally color copy my kits on my printer so have the original and spare parts too, and allows my to play with some colors and repaint ......
Old 03-11-2018, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glad to see another Japanese fighter under construction by you. A great airplane.

You mentioned that you are building a specific 343 Ku (Genda's Sword) airplane. Which one?

Don
Google Adsense
Old 03-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Hi Don, the kit is Kanno's aircraft as very good photos are available and vintage photos of these planes are few. I am tempted to do Muto's plane as this may be the aircraft recovered from the sea in 1979. I'm not sure what plane he flew and the majority unsung pilots flew aircraft based on availability. Pilots and planes were lost alarmingly. I have not painted the tail numbers yet...but took off the fuse stripes as most aircraft would not have them. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 03-11-2018, 12:25 PM

I found an old photo of an ensign pilot showing tail numbers and thought about 343-22 as the pilot was still alive a year or two ago ...
Old 03-11-2018, 12:31 PM

I bought the Osprey book on Raiden and Shiden Aces... very interesting reading
Old 03-11-2018, 01:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Will follow this with interest.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 03-11-2018, 02:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glen - No suggestions. I'm just interested in what you finally decide.

I still have the Sakae engine from Koga's Zero you sent me years ago. Some day I may decide I have enough experience to try to build it.

Don
Google Adsense