PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-18-2018, 05:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Former Cutting Made Easier - Silhouette Cutter

Inspired by MichaelS' P-26 thread, I ordered this attractive model from ecardmodels, scaled it down to 1/48, and proceeded to cut out the parts.

The formers were initially hand cut from cereal box cardboard, but I then made a duplicate set using my Silhouette-Curio cutter. What makes this process relatively easy is that this particular model (as all Marek) is sold in vector pdf format, so it's just a matter of dropping the file into the Silhouette's Studio software, Designer Edition ... which automatically translates the vectors into ready-to-cut lines!!

Note that the basic included Studio software must be upgraded to the Designer Edition - a $25 additional charge. Also, a deep cut blade will run another $11.00 (though not required for cutting cereal box cardboard). So total cost (at present) will be ~$160. Worth it? Yes, if you value your time and want precise and repeatable cuts (as for laminating)!

Of course the machine has many other paper modelling uses such as embossing, making fold lines, and cutting paint masks .

Gene K
Attached Thumbnails
Former Cutting Made Easier - Silhouette Cutter-p-26-parts-copy-.jpg   Former Cutting Made Easier - Silhouette Cutter-silhouette-cut-parts-copy-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2018, 05:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
What an amazing bit of technology you got there Gene. But tell me, when it makes a cutting mistake does it yell profanities and throw the model at the wall?
Old 06-18-2018, 05:25 PM

That's your privilege!

However, your clean builds likely haven't warranted (much) throwing and profanity.

Gene K
Old 06-18-2018, 06:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Well, you guys DO only see the finished product....

But still what you've got there is impressive. If there's any question of value for money you have to bear in mind most of are modelling nearly every day so probably worth the investment.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
What an amazing bit of technology you got there Gene. But tell me, when it makes a cutting mistake does it yell profanities and throw the model at the wall?

I agree with Rata, it indeed is an amazing thing. However, I think I will never buy one because I consider the whole model-making experience as something soothing, it kind of is clearing my mind for the time being. Being in the here and now, almost vacant. Lovely. Even cutting out formers. It's not just the model as an end result for me, it also is the build itself that adds to my pleasure. I wouldn't like to hasten it up or let a machine take parts of the process out of hand. But to each his own, of course.
(as an aside about profanity I have an unwritten rule while making a model: after three big abusive terms or profanities in one building session (and I very rarely do curse, actually) I have to call it quits for the day. Because then I just know that it is not a good day for model making. It prevents throwing models against the wall, too. Although I must admit I have had one or two fits in which I crumpled a half-finished model in my hands.
That actually was quite satisfying at the time, I must say.
For me, I like to invest the little money I have in a good quality printer. The cutting is something I like to do myself. Occasional irregularities in cardboard formers I often smooth out with a little sanding.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
... it also is the build itself that adds to my pleasure. I wouldn't like to hasten it up or let a machine take parts of the process out of hand.
Yes, I absolutely feel the same, Kosmo -- it's all about the build.

However, for me (an occasional paper modeler), cutting thicker material isn't entirely pleasurable, in particular small or redundant circular parts. In that regard, the Silhouette can relieve some of that "challenge" for me. And as regards the premise of my post, the machine is superb for repeatedly cutting precise formers for models like the Marak P-26 that is designed for butt joining (if you elect that method).

Laser cutter and 3D printer?

Gene K
Old 06-19-2018, 08:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Have to agree with Kosmo & Gene as well. I REALLY enjoy "redesigning" kits by Roman and Nobi. Figuring out how to make joiners and such. The small scales are a challenge but I feel the end result is worth it. I also enjoy shaping paper. To me it is amazing what you can do with a little patience.

I got very tired of "clicking" pla@#$teeq together. Everybody judged a kit by how well it fit. Fer cryin' out loud it is supposed to be about craftmanship! The work I see every day on this forum simply blows away any pla#$%teeq job I have ever seen.

That plus everyone is so friendly. I mean you guys even put up with me! So glad I landed here 8 months ago.

MS
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 06-19-2018, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Gene,

Certainly did not mean to put down your tool. It really does a good job. Just not my cuppa.

MS
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 06-20-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
It really does a good job. Just not my cuppa.
(For non-English friends: "cuppa" is cute for "cup of [tea]", meaning something MichaelS doesn't particularly favor).

Yes, I appreciate that The Machine doesn't appeal to many here, but it's an available tool, in particular for the weak-fingered like me when plowing through thicker cardboard. I assumed it would be of interest since many folks who buy larger scale kits also purchase accompanying laser cut heavy card sheets. (In that regard, I assume you've mostly spared yourself from cardboard since your good work (!) is almost exclusively in 1/100 scale).

To be clear, Michael, my "target" is heavy card substructure like formers and ribs. Certainly not suggesting/denying the pleasure of cutting. That subject has of course been discussed numerous times, for example here.

Gene K
Old 06-20-2018, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Those machines would be helpful if you want to cut out a bunch of gears to make a paper clock or something with a clockwork mechanism.
Google Adsense