PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-18-2018, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Good luck Chris, you have made an excellent choice by deciding to build Yoav’s F15! Your off to a good start so I’m confident that your first attempt will be the only one. Will follow this with great interest!

Cheers,
Erik
Old 03-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Thanks for the update Yoav and thanks Erik. Let's hope it will be so :-)

I have mounted the backplate on another layer of 160gsm. This should result in the desired ,5mm thickness. After drying it went right on the rib cage.

While I was waiting for the glue to dry I went on to tackle the first hull segment. I love how the fold lines are all covered in texture patterns. As I didn't score them with a knife but pressed them with an empty ball pen there are no white lines!

And this is what it looks once I closed the shape.

In the meantime the rib cage has dried and I did a dry fit of the hull shape on it.

When I fit it with my fingers into the key "breaking" points I see that it fits more or less snug onto the frame.

If I understand correctly I have to glue this part on before I add more shape rings, right?

Well, that was a productive weekend. I have to see how fast I am able to proceed during the week, when life catches up with me

Chris
Old 03-18-2018, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Great progress my friend. Where would we be without clothes pins and clamps!!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 03-18-2018, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
looking good so far
Old 03-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Good progress. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
You can do it, sir
Old 03-18-2018, 10:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Chris

be sure, the front former no' 8 is inside part 8 with 5 mm...this is the right place, so the other parts will be good on the chassis.

By the way, for quick glueing of the formers to the chassis and all internal things, I use super glue ... makes the job easy and convenient.
I also used super glue to connect the breaking points (folds) in the main body parts to the formers.

YOAV
Old 03-23-2018, 04:49 AM

As I thought the working week left little time for play, but today I found an hour to continue.

On monday I thought I could continue but experienced a little crash landing so to speak. I glued on the first hull ring and it all look fine and dandy, but when I added the second ring I noticed that I had lots of room on one side and could barely wrap it round the rib cage on the other side. So who thought one should watch out for alignment along the long axis?!?

I quickly and successfully was able to tear the hull off again, leaving me with this ugly sight!

Today I printed out new hull pages and tried again. One thing I changed in my approach was that I did not close the hull rings first but I started gluing on the hull segment on the bottom flat area and making sure the alignment was as perfect as I could get it. I then - step by step around the rib cage - glued on the next areas until the ring was closed.

This time the second hull part went on much better. I still had one moment where I saw some warping and found that I did not glue onto one concave edge very well, so I carefully cut that segment loose again and re-glued it. I do wonder if this process can be done by first gluing all the main hull parts together and then wrap glue them like this? That way the alignment should be even better to achieve. Maybe some experienced builders can weigh in on this idea?

Now I got the first two segments done and it looks much better I am still learning and it's far from perfect when I look at it close, but I am still in the learning process.

Bottom view

Top view

I get excited when I imagine the size of it finished! I do hope I will find some more time over the weekend to go on!
Old 03-23-2018, 06:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
looks good.

I also thought about your first method....Connect all the parts together before connecting them to the chassis.
in theory it works, but in reality it is very, very difficult.

I prefer to close the part/ring and then thread it on the chassis as in the instructions i wrote, but if you were able to connect the parts as in your second method, then well done.

A small note ....
When you reach the air intake, try to stick to instructions, because the air intake are very long compared to other models.
But how do we say....No matter how we get from one city to another, the main thing is to get there safely, safe and sound.

keep on the good working.

YOAV
Old 03-23-2018, 10:32 AM

Another hour brought me to this. I built the final two parts of the main hull in the recommended ring form, looking good from this side ...

... but couldn't do better on the bottom. Will this bite me later? I am not sure if I had to get the middle area down or it was a mistake to glue the middle from the before part down as it should meet the final parts "in the air".

I also see that I am able to fit the former curve well on one side but not on the other, but don't know why.

Any tips are most welcome as I am not sure if this worth continuing.

One final question regarding super glue: I see the the tip of the dispenser is building up with glue residue. I can still glue stuff, but I cannot wipe of the dispenser tip and this leads to this build up. Or can I with some secret weapon that does not include paper towels or my finger joining the glue tube forever?

Last edited by Papierschnitzel; 03-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Google Adsense