PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-18-2018, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale

I want to start off by saying at first the 1/100 scale "craze" did not sound like too much fun. I started with Bruno's FJ-1 Fury. Not that spectacular of an aircraft but it did help bring the post war navy into the jet age. I had to build it 3x in order to get it right. I thought it had a completely round fuselage which didn't allow the wings to line up right. the 2nd time it was right but the colors seemed a little off. Post war navy Blue is dark, almost a grape color to it. So I found a blue that my old printer gives a good representation of Nav Blue. A key to Bruno's models is to look up on the web a good 3 view drawing. this gives a good idea of the fuselage shapes and helps with those "odd pieces" that you can't quite place. I changes the tail piece a little so it didn't look so bulky below the rudder and above the exhaust. the only added details were the tail hook and a few knuckle joints on the landing gear and the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030485.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030486.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030487.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030491.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2018, 01:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I always liked this airplane. Looks great. More! More!

Don
Old 03-18-2018, 01:23 PM

Blue navy continued

I admit the blue in the pictures doesn't seem that dark but this was taken in the bright sunlight shining onto the kitchen island. it is darker. the next blue boy is kampflieger's Ryan fireball. the fireball was a weird experiment that coupled piston power and jet power. It must've worked as there was an operational squadron or 2 before it was placed on the good idea way too late pile. Kampflieger's planes follow the more traditional bulkheads and spars method of construction. it fit perfectly as all his kits do. It fills the aviation gap of oddities in between successful aircraft...
Attached Thumbnails
Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030492.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030494.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030495.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030496.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030497.jpg  

Old 03-18-2018, 01:37 PM

Blue navy continued...

And last but not least is the F6U Pirate. This is Bruno's design, which works out well. I started this after the Fury was completed last summer but never got past the fuselage. It is simple in construction but following the fury trial and error I thought it should wait until I learned more of Bruno's methods. I finished it last pm while watching the last star trek movie on showtime. I give that one its ok but glad I didn't pay to see it. the pirate theoretically should have been a better performer but never lived up to the hype. I think it was exported to argentina and maybe one other country.
The fuselage is formed a lot like the B-24, a rectangle with rounded corners. see post 1 above of why it is vital to look up the cross sections on the net before proceeding. That's it for this batch, currently starting Bruno's P-40C in Chinese colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030490.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030488.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030481.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030482.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030483.jpg  

Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030484.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030498.jpg   Navy Blue post war aircraft in 1/100 scale-p1030499.jpg  
Old 03-18-2018, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Oh! Oh! Oh! A Frying Tiger come raght up!
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDRTED View Post
And last but not least is the F6U Pirate. This is Bruno's design, which works out well. I started this after the Fury was completed last summer but never got past the fuselage. It is simple in construction but following the fury trial and error I thought it should wait until I learned more of Bruno's methods. I finished it last pm while watching the last star trek movie on showtime. I give that one its ok but glad I didn't pay to see it. the pirate theoretically should have been a better performer but never lived up to the hype. I think it was exported to argentina and maybe one other country.
The fuselage is formed a lot like the B-24, a rectangle with rounded corners. see post 1 above of why it is vital to look up the cross sections on the net before proceeding. That's it for this batch, currently starting Bruno's P-40C in Chinese colors.
Thanks for these Ted. Had pretty much forgotten the Pirate. Interesting idea for an aerioplane.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 03-18-2018, 08:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Looking good. Remember a 1960s or 1970s air craft magazine article on Ryan Fireball, title was "One turning, one burning". Magazine was one of several Dad would get: don't remember which, Air Progress, Air Classics, Airpower, or another.
Currently available books or booklets on it may come from Squadron and/or Ginter Books.

There is a story of maybe debatable validity where one day around I think it was southern California a Ryan Fireball ended up flying along within sight of a Lockheed P-38 and some not unexpected macho piloting comparisons ensued where at one point the P-38 feathered a prop and kept right on cruising.
Then the Ryan feathered a prop and kept right on cruising ...
Old 03-19-2018, 12:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestforests View Post
There is a story of maybe debatable validity where one day around I think it was southern California a Ryan Fireball ended up flying along within sight of a Lockheed P-38 and some not unexpected macho piloting comparisons ensued where at one point the P-38 feathered a prop and kept right on cruising.
Then the Ryan feathered a prop and kept right on cruising ...
Reminds me of the joke I once saw in Bob Stephen's "there I was" book about an F-4 Phantom and a B-52 were the B-52 shut down two engines and challenged the F-4 to do the same
Old 03-19-2018, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Very nice models!
Old 03-19-2018, 06:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
very nice bird and great collection

YOAV
Google Adsense