PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-19-2018, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
New member's models

Hey everybody, just signed up yesterday. Many thanks for the warm welcome! As promised (threatened), here are some pics of my builds to date. All are 1/100 scale. For each one of these there are probably 2 or 3 failed attempts in the bin- but I think I'm getting 'into the groove' now and each completed build is a lesson in what NOT to do with my next model. But mostly I think it's forums like this with the generous help and time given by long-time modellers that help beginners learn that much quicker.
Hope you like 'em and critiques more than welcome. Oh, and Bruno Vanhecke- I have now officially assumed the worship position at your feet!
Currently working on a S&P Boeing 247- will post pics as soon as built.
Cheers, Garry G.
Attached Thumbnails
New member's models-fg-fokker-dr.i-.jpg   New member's models-fg-fokker-dr.i-2-.jpg   New member's models-s-p-arado-65-.jpg   New member's models-s-p-arado-65-2-.jpg   New member's models-s-p-arado-65-3-.jpg  

New member's models-s-p-avia-.jpg   New member's models-s-p-avia-2-.jpg   New member's models-s-p-avia-3-.jpg   New member's models-s-p-great-lakes-bg-1-.jpg   New member's models-s-p-great-lakes-bg-1-2-.jpg  

New member's models-s-p-mig-21-.jpg   New member's models-s-p-mig-21-2-.jpg   New member's models-s-p-saeta-.jpg   New member's models-s-p-saeta-2-.jpg   New member's models-s-p-saeta-3-.jpg  

New member's models-stahlhart-la-5uti-.jpg   New member's models-stahlhart-la-5uti-3-.jpg   New member's models-zio-fiat-g.50-.jpg   New member's models-zio-fiat-g.50-2-.jpg   New member's models-zio-fiat-g.50-3-.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2018, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 57.46 MB
rigging

very nice models! What technique do you use to support the rigging on the biplanes?
Thanks
Old 03-19-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosen1953 View Post
very nice models! What technique do you use to support the rigging on the biplanes?
Thanks
Thanks for the praise. The rigging wires themselves are actually silk thread from old screen printing (as in printing designs on tee shirts etc) offcuts. I used to use it on my plastic models. Unlike regular cotton thread, it's not 'hairy'; strong; paintable (it's naturally white) and slightly elastic. It's very thin so is really only suitable for small scale applications like 1/72 and 1/100.
I pre-paint a long length (whatever I think will do the whole model) by blue-tacking each end supported across two points and just brush on watered down black or dark grey acrylic paint. I cut a piece for each wire about an inch oversize.
I punch a pin hole at the wing/fuselage juncture and super-glue one end of the string into that. When dry, I thread the other end in a loop around the top of the strut, and, while holding light tension on the excess, work the loop with the tip of a toothpick or pin to the top of the strut. When happy with everything, apply a SMALL drop of thin cyano with a pin to the loop.
When this is dry, hold the excess with tweezers and cut it off with a VERY sharp blade.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 671.41 MB
These look great. Can’t wait to see the 247. That’s a good little kit.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Beautiful models, very fine and delicate constructions and the magnificent riostas, congratulations
Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2018, 06:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
These are exceptionally well done. I am envious of your skill.

I look forward to seeing more of your models and appreciate your sharing your techniques with us.

Don
Old 03-19-2018, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Lucky guy with steady hands

Those are very fine looking models.I should look into that Spanish Saetta.Very good looking early jet.

Thank you for detailed description of your rigging technique.I'll try to duplicate it.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:11 PM

Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words. And Don, praise coming from a modeller of your standing is high praise indeed.

Cheers, Garry G.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
Lucky guy with steady hands

Those are very fine looking models.I should look into that Spanish Saetta.Very good looking early jet.

Thank you for detailed description of your rigging technique.I'll try to duplicate it.
Thanks bro. That Saeta is a little Vanhecke gem. The photo doesn't show it, but you gotta see how Bruno has executed the detail inside the nose intake.
There's an Egyptian operated version available of this same plane which I'll definitely be buying and building.
Interesting side note that I was not aware of: the Spanish Hispano 200 Saeta was actually a Wily Messerschmitt design.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Great builds, Rata!

Wyvern
Google Adsense