PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-21-2018, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Next project- Stahlhart La-7

It was purely by accident coming across Cristoph Stahl's fantastic website about a year ago that got me into paper modelling. My first attempts (La.5 and an Il.2M) in his original 1/60 scale were absolute disasters that now reside in the paper plane boneyard. Now that I've settled on 1/100 as my chosen scale, it's easy enough just to print his designs off at 60%.
I'm sure that any of you who have built his models can attest to the quality, and Stahl's design talent is only exceeded by his generosity in offering his vast number of models for free (I see that he recently expanded both the B-26 Marauder and Gladiator range).
Anyway, I'm gonna start on his Nth Korean version of the Lavochkin La-7. I usually print off at my local library on their laser printer (they only charge 20c per A4), but this one was run off on my own dodgy inkjet. Close inspection shows some alignment issues, and I've found inkjet ink is nowhere near as durable as laser print, but does have a more realistic matt sheen.
Chris includes things like wheel well detail, but seeing that it's gonna be small scale I'll dispense with the fiddly bits and try and simplify.
Does anyone want an ongoing build description or you happy just to see the finished article?
Cheers, Garry G.
Attached Thumbnails
Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8000.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2018, 05:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Great choice, I have built many models of Stahlhart and they are fabulous, it is one of my favorite pages, good model you have chosen
Old 03-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Ongoing build description by all means. Preferably blow-by-blow, including mistakes. Not to poke fun at you, but to learn from them and to know where the pitfalls are. My $.02 worth.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Stahlhart is great. My first accomplished models were the ones that brought me here two. It would be great to see the steps of the builds.

And all the luck with building him 1/100 as original 1/60 can be quite challenging at times.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I like his models. They fit well and look good. I have few of them on to do list and LA-5 is one of them. I was planning to enlarge it a bit,make it 2 pager rather than one.
Google Adsense
Old 03-22-2018, 06:25 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Ongoing build description by all means. Preferably blow-by-blow, including mistakes. Not to poke fun at you, but to learn from them and to know where the pitfalls are. My $.02 worth.
Okey dokey elliott. I'll start tomorrow. Does your 2 cents worth allow for inflation?

Cheers, Garry G.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
In-progress images and narrative always welcome and educational.

Don
Old 03-22-2018, 05:45 PM

Decided (for no particular reason) to do the wings first. I guess the fact that the La-7 did not have a full span straight leading edge- there's a kink near the centre section- precludes it from designing it as one piece fold back affair.

Dang, these close up photos with the blurry black print really tells me not to print off any more models on my own inkjet Canon. Ah well, I'll keep going anyway.

Christoph provides glue tabs on the leading edge and I cut the wing out with my own tabs on the trailing edge. The golden rule of scoring before cutting parts out has finally sunk in with me!
I thought it best to join the main edges of upper and lower components while still flat to make sure panel lines and L.E. slat lines aligned. As it turned out I'm glad I did.

As other more experienced builders have wisely pointed out in other build threads, pre-shaping parts is vital. I reckon this applies especially to wings to head off the dreaded warp. I gently pre-curved the uppers over a fat marker pen handle so it both edges matched naturally with the underside. I reckon I pulled it off- see the pic of my hairy digits holding wing to show rear view.
The next pic shows leading edge and you can see I left the small inboard edge kink to be glued only after the main outer edges were good.
I then folded over the centre section fairings and slid the back end about till I was happy. I find it best to only put glue where it's absolutely needed. For example if the fairing follows the wing contour with no gaps, then only the front and back get the glue. The toothpick is to gently push the inboard corner of the main wing panel into the fairing while the glue dries. I use slightly watered down (to the consistency of thick but runny cream) PVA white wood glue on my models and it seems to give me 'adjustment time' to get things right, but still dries enough to hold itself after 15-20 secs.

I left tips till last and I find it better to join them while holding in mid air rather than on the building board. Unfortunately it was at this point that a REALLY ANNOYING warp had crept in. If anyone can tell me how to remove a warp without pulling the wing apart PLEASE tell me! Fortunately It's not a major one so I'll just sigh resignedly and live with it.

Next two pics show it all together without and then with the little dihedral tab I added which (hopefully) should be hidden inside the fuselage. The full size La-5 and -7 didn't have a lot of dihedral and looking at the last pic I think I got it pretty durn close.

Thanks for your interest, this is my first build thread and if my commentary is any way boring/tedious/longwinded/ bloody stoopid please let me know.
Will start on fuselage next will wait your feedback before posting.

Cheers, Garry G.
Attached Thumbnails
Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8002.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8006.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8007.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8008.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8009.jpg  

Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8010.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8011.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8012.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8013.jpg  
Old 03-23-2018, 01:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Great alignment I must admit, especially if this was your first run with the wings! I tend to do minimum four samples untill I am pretty much satisfied with the outcome.

And thanks for the detailed descritpion - makes things way clearer. As for the warp, I can hardly notice it on pics - perhaps you are way too harsh, or should draw an error on pics.

Awaiting for the next part.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:57 PM

Progressing. It's probably papermodelling 101 to the more experienced, but I've found that making separate join tabs (a-la Nobi) for certain areas gives a neater join by eliminating that step or ridge.

I just don't know a lot of modellers can pump out so many builds in the short time that they do. I think maybe I'm still a bit overcautious doing 27 dry fits before gluing anything!

Anyway the La-7 going together without any major dramas and I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Thanks for your interest and PLEASE feel free to offer any advice and tips.
Attached Thumbnails
Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8015.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8019.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8020.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8022.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8023.jpg  

Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8027.jpg   Next project- Stahlhart La-7-img_8028.jpg  
Google Adsense