PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 172.42 MB
Having a comparison build is very cool. Good luck on both.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
Same plane but different design features... Who's the best designer? You decide! sounds like a good starting point for "Epic Paper Battles" thread. This week is Marek vs. Fabrizio and the subject is the Macchi C.202... WHO WILL WIN?!?
Old 04-11-2018, 01:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
Thanks guys.
I will say that I am finding features of both that I like. And I will remind everyone that I am not a great builder so take it for what it is worth. The Marek models have some weight to them and are quite durable. The Fabrizio models have fewer out side seams so less for me to screw up on fit and finish. At my moderate skill level I can not say what one is "best". I can say I like both and will build more of both for sure. Including some of Fabrizio's ME-109s and Fokker E-IIIs.

One-starting to shape up. Got the canopies on.

two-The Marek canopy was a little more complicated but the fit was great.

Three-The tail fin are on. Again, the Marek model was more complicated, consisting of four parts, where as the Fabrizio Prudenziati model was a simple two part sandwich.
Attached Thumbnails
Two Macchi C.202 Folgore models in 1/50-ish scale-2.jpg   Two Macchi C.202 Folgore models in 1/50-ish scale-3.jpg   Two Macchi C.202 Folgore models in 1/50-ish scale-4.jpg  
Old 04-11-2018, 02:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
I don't know how to feel about it but I am leaning towards Zio for Fuselage lines... just looks more like the real thing; perhaps my eye are under the influence of a Jedi mind trick due to the "seamless" fuselage of the zio kit compared to the "ringed" fuselage of the Marek kit.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
I am a big fan of Zio's kits. They are easy and quick to assemble. You just have to add some internal stiffening or stuff the fuselages with tissue paper. Ihave found the landing gear on the Albatros D.V and the Fokker D.VII to be too "splayed" but this would be easy to correct.
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 04-11-2018, 04:31 PM

Thank you Michael I will keep that in mind. I did end up adding an internal former just behind the guns on my model because I felt like I would squish it if I did not have something in there.

Falco you may be correct, however that is likely my poor seam alignment rather then the model as designed. I think if I had done a better job on that the difference would be less noticeable. However, that is an advantage of the single piece body.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:33 PM

OK... I had issues...

One-Ugh. This was not easy with my skill level. The one piece wrap around skin for the wing root over four formers was hard. Too many variables. I managed but I will cut the upper from the lower on my next attempt.

Two-
The underside of the wing root. Not too bad but it was a pain.

Three-
You can see how far off I was on this side at the back of the wing root. Not good. But I will live with it. This was not Marek's fault so much as my lack of skill. An upper and lower piece such as he has used on other planes is much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Two Macchi C.202 Folgore models in 1/50-ish scale-5.jpg   Two Macchi C.202 Folgore models in 1/50-ish scale-6.jpg   Two Macchi C.202 Folgore models in 1/50-ish scale-7.jpg  
Old 04-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Your boo-boos are hardly noticeable. Really enjoying this- nice work so far.

I'm with you Falco- the Folgore's engine centre line was low to give better pilot forward view. Zio's captures that feature better.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Enjoying this comparison, Corey.

Wyvern
Old 04-11-2018, 09:18 PM

managed the wings. Not too much trouble.
I actually cut another set of wing ribs and did not use the connectors provided. The rib on rib connection works well enough on other Marek models so I went with what I know.
Attached Thumbnails
Two Macchi C.202 Folgore models in 1/50-ish scale-8.jpg