PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-24-2018, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100

Just to re-assure everyone that my presence on this forum is not just being the resident putz, I've started work on Gary Pilsworth's RNZAF D.H. Devon that I'm doing in my preferred 1/100 scale.
As I indicated earlier I will be doing a number of Gary's designs in series. If his others are anything like the level of high quality that this one is, then I can't wait to start on 'em.
Apart from reducing the scale, I'm building pretty much as Gary designed. The only exception being replacing wing rib formers on the wing centre section with a simple spar.
Alignment so far has been spot on and Gary provides 3 near perfectly fitting fuselage formers to get everything in shape.
On the larger expanses of unsupported paper like on the wings, I've just stuck some backing doublers to the 80gsm (standard printer) stock to hopefully reduced any unwanted surface deformation.
One of the 'card modelling 101' lessons I learned from this very forum was the vital importance of pre-forming parts- see pics 3-5.
The last photo is of the MANDATORY 3 view that I got found and printed off the intynet in about 12 seconds. There's really no excuse for the ''oh, I wasn't sure what the real think looked like....''
The photos should speak for themselves so this is where I'm at now:
Attached Thumbnails
Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8107.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8108.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8109.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8110.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8111.jpg  

Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8112.jpg  
Old 04-24-2018, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 671.41 MB
That’s an interesting airplane. Saw a few Doves in the old days. Can’t wait to see your model take shape.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great so far, as usual.

Don
Old 04-24-2018, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Well done Garry, it is always good to reinforce certain parts although the designer does not mention it. The paper for more than the same weight as the one recommended by the designer can vary in quality and there you have the problems of deformation and all that. That's why you have that study the model, look carefully at the role you have, try, calculate, your criteria and practice will make the difference. And you learn very fast here with so many teachers in the forum. You can see your first advance very well
Sergio
Old 04-24-2018, 08:47 PM

100% correct on every count Sergio.

A bit more progress. Just about to glue the nose on but just in time remembered the oh-so-vital nose weight! Phew. I've got a sheet of what's known as plumber's lead. It's about 1.5mm thick and cuts easily with an old pair of scissors and being lead, you don't need much to keep the hooter down on a paper model.
GP has done an incredible engineering job on the nose-cone. A lick-o-paint on the joins and the fuse will be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8113.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8114.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8115.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8116.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8117.jpg  

Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Looking good so far and good luck building her at 1:100 scale
Old 04-25-2018, 03:04 AM

Thanks Don, C9B and Gary. Got some more done. It's a public holiday here today- ANZAC Day. Extremely important to Aussies and Kiwis where we stop to remember the sacrifice of service personnel past and present. Seems to be gaining momentum each year with the younger generations getting on board which is great.

Finding it better to touch up the joins with paint as I go along- not so overwhelming at the final build stage. Fortunately I had some close-matching colours from my plast- days. Got the fin on after reinforcing the bottom edge with doublers- not so prone to buckling or going out of shape when I run the glue along the joint.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8118.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8119.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8120.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8122.jpg   Pilsworth DeHavilland Devon in 1/100-img_8123.jpg  

Old 04-25-2018, 06:34 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
You're doing a great job Garry. Good pics too. I like that.
Oh, and Happy ANZAC Day!!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
I guess Happy ANZAC Day isn't quite right but you get what I mean.

Incredible work so far. So many great aerioplanes so little time.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I didn't feel quite right typing Happy ANZAC Day but didn't know how else to say it. I do know it's a solemn day, a time to reflect on the sacrifices made by so many to preserve the freedoms we enjoy today.
I think you're right though - Rata knows what we mean and hopefully coming from two vets, it means a little more.
Google Adsense