PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-13-2018, 03:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Thanks for sharing ideas guys, I hope the discussion helped solve a few questions.

I have a question of my own. Did most aircraft from that period (late WWII) have landing lights fitted, and if so, most often where? Material on the P1101 is of course scarce so I would like to look at parallels before deciding.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:51 AM

Back on topic

Progress has been slow. I worked on some engine details and started on the landing gears. Nothing interesting to show as of yet.

The wing though will receive plenty of modifications. The aerodynamic surfaces will be split into separate components, using the seams as an added level of detail. Ricardo's eye-opening build nextdoor is providing a lot of ideas and inspirations.

This plan is hindered by the fact that the wing does not contain even one piece of structural formers, except the spar itself. In order to not screw this one up, I will have to improvise somehow.

The lighting circuits are also ready to use. It consists of two low-powered LEDs for wingtip navigational lights, and a high-powered 1W orange one for the turbine exhaust (although I am not going to operate it anywhere near 1W). The system can be driven by 2 3V button cells connected in parallel, which will be hidden inside the engine bay and removable if required. I plan to use aluminium foil (metal is very good at at being opaque) for light insulation, as the light from the orange one is bright enough to go through multiple layers of paper from where I don't need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180616_113708.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180616_182040.jpg  
Old 06-25-2018, 05:31 AM

Quite a few commitments in real life are coming up, so little progress on the model.

The wing, with all its control surfaces cut off, lacked structural integrity. Additional formers, spars and wingtip supports are added to make sure the wing is held solidly in place. No issues with electrical circuits so far, I found the silver paint marker pen makes excellent light insulation as well.

I admit The forward slats didn't come out very well as I had to cut it open while the wing is in a pre-formed state, But I still think it's better than nothing.

Some details are added to the rear gear wheels. I went too far with this, and will have to tune it back. Fixes on the way. The cockpit also receives the instrument panel and a (makeshift) gunsight.
Attached Thumbnails
Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180619_202059.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180620_135656.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180620_135703.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180620_140049.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180621_135704.jpg  

Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180622_135950.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180625_180656.jpg  
Old 06-26-2018, 08:52 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Little progress is better than none at all. Looking forward to future work. Post when you can.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:42 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
At the rate I build, I consider that a lot of progress. Looking good.
Google Adsense
Old 06-30-2018, 05:04 AM

Finally

Thanks for the support there guys. Having to work on the electrical system sure slows everything down. Well, that is almost done now.

The LED for the exhaust is wrapped in a paper unit to facilitate attachment, then the unit is inserted into the engine as a whole. Because the orange light is reflected twice by the turbine blades before being seen, I opted for this very high powered LED and it is ridiculously bright when viewed directly. Thus, the interior of the engine is given plenty of light insulation in the form of metal foil or metallic paint, and then closed up. You can see 4 pieces of exposed copper from the completed (not quite, still a lot of superficial details remaining) engine. The two knobs are the actual electrodes on which I will attach the power source, and will be the only pieces of exposed wiring on the final model. The other two lead into the fuselage and will be buried inside an attachment structure to not be seen, they power the remainder of the lighting system.

This complete unit is then dry-fitted onto the fuselage. You can see how I hid the electrode conveniently in a crevice designed to accomodate the auxiliary motor (I believe). It turns out that this crevice, simply a dark area on the kit, needed to be made sunken in order for the engine to be attached in the correct place at all. It's only by chance that I decided to add this detail at all, thankfully it saved the project.

There is enough space around the intake on both sides to fit a pair of button cells each. I buried magnets below the bulkhead so the battery pack(s) remains in place without needing anything to hold them. The entire engine will be covered up by the removable housing, so this battery pack will not be visible when in use. When displaying with the cover removed, I can simply disconnect and remove the battery pack, leaving the two inconspicuous electrodes that are barely visible. On the actual engine, there is even a similarly sized ring in this place to hand start the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180628_210540.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180628_213050.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180628_213234.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180628_214305.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180628_214651.jpg  

Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180628_214707.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180628_214723.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180628_214744.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180629_164402.jpg  
Old 06-30-2018, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 104.06 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Thanks for the support there guys. Having to work on the electrical system sure slows everything down. Well, that is almost done now.

The LED for the exhaust is wrapped in a paper unit to facilitate attachment, then the unit is inserted into the engine as a whole. Because the orange light is reflected twice by the turbine blades before being seen, I opted for this very high powered LED and it is ridiculously bright when viewed directly. Thus, the interior of the engine is given plenty of light insulation in the form of metal foil or metallic paint, and then closed up. You can see 4 pieces of exposed copper from the completed (not quite, still a lot of superficial details remaining) engine. The two knobs are the actual electrodes on which I will attach the power source, and will be the only pieces of exposed wiring on the final model. The other two lead into the fuselage and will be buried inside an attachment structure to not be seen, they power the remainder of the lighting system.

This complete unit is then dry-fitted onto the fuselage. You can see how I hid the electrode conveniently in a crevice designed to accomodate the auxiliary motor (I believe). It turns out that this crevice, simply a dark area on the kit, needed to be made sunken in order for the engine to be attached in the correct place at all. It's only by chance that I decided to add this detail at all, thankfully it saved the project.

There is enough space around the intake on both sides to fit a pair of button cells each. I buried magnets below the bulkhead so the battery pack(s) remains in place without needing anything to hold them. The entire engine will be covered up by the removable housing, so this battery pack will not be visible when in use. When displaying with the cover removed, I can simply disconnect and remove the battery pack, leaving the two inconspicuous electrodes that are barely visible. On the actual engine, there is even a similarly sized ring in this place to hand start the motor.
Brilliant work, mate

"The best landings are the ones you cannot walk away from" - David Windestål
Old 07-03-2018, 12:50 AM

A lighting system test. The red LED will be muted by a layer of white paper on top.

The other wing is now attached. From behind you can sill see how the wing is modified for stiffness and to accommodate the internal contents. The engine is also perrmanently attached, and I am using a pair of temporary supports to protect the engine from damage. Much more work is sill required to detail the engine itself.

I made 4 copies of the engine housing as I realised it will be the source of some very ugly issues, especially near the exhaust. I don't think anyone has managed to build the exhaust as-is, because it does not make much sense...
Attached Thumbnails
Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180702_134707.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180702_203301.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180702_203317.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180703_132022.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180703_132445.jpg  

Old 07-03-2018, 05:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Keep the engine cover off the plane and place it on the side. It is much more interesting like that.

If you want it on, consider attaching it with small magnets.

There are many photos showing the plane as is with no cover.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
There are many photos showing the plane as is with no cover.
In fact I failed to find one WITH the cover attached...

I guess yes, it's more natural for this thing to do without.
Google Adsense