PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-24-2018, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Thanks, I am glad you are liking it. I will show the machine when I come to it.

Today is mostly about closing the frontal sections. It is very difficult, because potential fit issues make me think twice about anything I do. There is the intake duct to deal with, a former that would not slide in horizontally because the gear bay is in the way, the cockpit which has parts lining the interior of the fuselage section there. After a few close calls with disaster, the work is complete. The rear fuselage ended up at a slight angle downwards, a few cuts and re-joining the spine formers fixed the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180524_183743.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180524_183738.jpg  
Old 05-24-2018, 04:49 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Your work looks good from here Lex!
Old 05-24-2018, 07:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful craftsmanship, Lex. Exceptionally clean and precise.

Looks like you are back in the groove.

Don
Old 05-25-2018, 05:29 AM

Thanks, Elliott and Don. I think someone with better planning and foresight would do much better than this, but hell I am never repeating this build. I have built Maly kits from the 60's (quite enjoyable), yellow covered GPMs (still manageable), Halinski kits from '92 (historical accuracy aside, fits perfectly well), but so far this one is in a realm of its own... I wonder if all kits from Supermodel are like this.

I am not feeling like detailing the centre section yet, so instead decided to work from tail backwards. Finally an area that doesn't require much modification! It is important to take Issac's words seriously, as he emphasised that the tail fins are at a wrong angle on the fuselage. Thus the tail part was split in two to fix this, and also to help access the petal structure (what would have been my bane, but right now was the least of my worries) I added on the end.

Then I started to not take his words (do NOT wet fold) seriously, and tried to wet-fold. The kit was waiting for this exact moment and the print came off immediately! A patch was added to conceal the resulting wound, I hope people would not notice...

A mild fit problem exist between the two tail sections and required trimming, but in general this part was trouble free. It will be a while before this is attached to the fuselage, but in the meantime I can work on the tail fins.
Attached Thumbnails
Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180525_181428.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180525_181504.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180525_181515.jpg  
Old 05-27-2018, 09:33 AM

Vacforming time. Not a successful day, also too busy with other things. I'll post more about it when I have more time.

Take one. PVC sheet. Went white under heat and I gave up.
Take two. PET sheet, cut from drink bottle. Refuses to soften under mild heat, and demonstrated tremendous internal stress (as a result of being stretched when it was blown into a bottle), and I couldn't form it under the current suction.
Take three. Unknown transparent polymer sheet that came with the vacforming machine itself, apparently used in making orthodontic retention molds (I use one of those myself). If anyone can shed light on what material it is, that would be very helpful. This time it worked exceptionally well and readily formed into the desired shape. However the material is 1mm thick and not suitable for canopy, I need to get my hands on a thinner version. It also moulded almost too well, and reproduced all the irregularities in the paster mould's surface finish. I will have to try sand and polish the mould even more before trying again.

Overall I got the hang of it. The resulting canopy is shown in the photo, the surface irregularities make it difficult to see clearly through, and if I use this one I will end up losing all the cockpit details. This canopy is still useful though, I can use it to find the correct place to cut and attach on the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails
Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180527_110848.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-29-2018, 06:32 AM

Tail is finished, only modification here is opening up the seams for the control surfaces.

All fuselage pieces are now in position and waiting assembly, a few jobs remain before I can close the entire fuselage assembly. I over trimmed the misfitting centre piece and had to patch it in the end, hope the canopy will make the fix less noticeable.
Attached Thumbnails
Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180529_174525.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180529_174543.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180529_174555.jpg  
Old 05-29-2018, 04:20 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 3.69 GB
The swastica is the wrong way on the right side. I suppose it was printed that way.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm View Post
The swastica is the wrong way on the right side. I suppose it was printed that way.
The issue is, it's the right way on the left side! Supermodel simply mirrored the swastika
Old 06-02-2018, 08:34 AM

Wheel wells are in place, the fuselage is closed up. There was a little bamboo effect but thankfully the wing fairings covered it very well.

Then, making start on the HS011 engine. First up is the exhaust: since anyone will be able to see inside from the exhaust, I decided to give it a detailed treatment. The internal cone structure (black) was designed by Rhino, and bulkheads that would have blocked the full depth of the exhaust were punched through to make way for this detail.

The detailing progressed further and stopped at the last set of turbine blades, which is also visible from the outside on the actual engine. The photos show how I approached making the turbine disc (at least the visible pars of it). I started from the outside and cut the ring of 80g paper into strips to emulate the blades. However the size and density of these were a great issue and I am only partially satisfied by the result. Next time I will try making the central hub first and then joining each strip with the outside ring, it is easier to access each piece that way.

At such depth inside the exhaust and partially covered by the cone structure, it is normally too dark to be seen. But I made preparations for this, and will include a little electrical system to light up the exhaust. The LEDs for this will be arriving by post soon.

For now, 0.25mm PVC sheet, of a particular type recommended by a modeller friend of mine, has arrived. Another round of vacforming created the desired canopy, it was clear enough that I had difficulty taking photos of the finished canopy...
@missileer, here is the dentist's vacforming machine I am using. There are two switches, one is the heating element and the other is the vacuum suction below.
Attached Thumbnails
Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180602_213044.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180602_220022.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180602_151115.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180602_150732.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180530_190128.jpg  

Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180601_173145.jpg   Me P.1101 (Supermodel)-20180530_190155.jpg  
Old 06-02-2018, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Good looking model, Lex, I've had some difficulty getting the canopy really clear with my homemade vacformer...but your's looks great