PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 302.42 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I'm still working on his statement that some model pages he prints straight from the file, and some he tweaks, then prints.

Les, have tried building one printed straight out of the box without any tweaks?
I think I may try that in the future with the Enterprise BT-1 without reducing it to 1/48. But I've just had the same fit problems with the reprinted (1/48) Yorktown CAG fuselage, so I'm giving up on card model aircraft for a while until I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'll still be doing rockets and spacecraft, but I'm just too frustrated with airplanes right now.

Thanks for everyone's input! I'm sure the tips will prove valuable down the line.

Les (The Voice of Authority)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by umtutsut View Post
I think I may try that in the future with the Enterprise BT-1 without reducing it to 1/48. But I've just had the same fit problems with the reprinted (1/48) Yorktown CAG fuselage, so I'm giving up on card model aircraft for a while until I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'll still be doing rockets and spacecraft, but I'm just too frustrated with airplanes right now.

Thanks for everyone's input! I'm sure the tips will prove valuable down the line.

Les (The Voice of Authority)
You might PM Pericles. He did the BT-1 for Aaron and resized it to 1:100. Perhaps you should ask him if he had any problems resizing. Sometimes we solve problems without even thinking about it and they don't get passed on. I have done 2 of Aaron's kits recently the AD and the A6M2 Zero. Both of them were printed using Windows 10 and the adobe print service which supports resizing to a percentage.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-04-2018, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I've noticed that when I open one of my model files in Photoshop after saving it as a multipage pdf, it asks me to set the pixels per inch for every page. Usually it defaults to 72, but I change it to 200, which is what the originals are saved in.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.45 MB
Are you printing the file directly from Gimp or are you exporting as a PDF? I found if you print directly from gimp in shrinks your image a bit? If you export as a pdf it makes the file the correct size. I don't know why it does it but it does.

Good luck,
Brent
Old 05-04-2018, 05:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
I printed Murph's Zveno (4 models in one) out at 1/100 and not a single issue with any of 'em.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
I have a he!! Of a time sizing Zio P kits. Something about the type of PDF he does.
Same but I've found most ok but the rest not. I know I probably sound like a caveman, but I use MS Paint (opens most files) to print out my resized stuff. the 'print review' gives an A4 on the screen. I can actually hold a ruler up to the screen to check for correct size. (Yeah, I know, caveman...)
Old 05-04-2018, 06:39 PM

OK, my modeler's pride has overcome my frustration! I'm going to try this One. More. Time. I've printed out the fuselage parts (at 1/48) from Aaron's original model, so all the parts should be in scale.

More on this magnum opus over the weekend!

Les (AKA The Butcher of Paper)
Old 05-04-2018, 06:55 PM

Good luck Les! Hope it works.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 664.90 MB
I followed a fantastic build of a Halberstadt Biplane here. Sorry, can't remember the author. What He did was absolutely ingenious, and I have used the technique since. He glued the first fuselage part together and added tabs on the inside. Then he took the next part, dryfit without gluing, making sure lines line up and the next part reaches all the way around. thhen either started attaching in the middle or at one end, slowly gluing along until the ends met. Then it becomes obvious if a narrow sliver has to be cut off. It also helps to make sure the join is straight. Then the part is closed together and the process starts over with next part.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sygrod View Post
I followed a fantastic build of a Halberstadt Biplane here. Sorry, can't remember the author. What He did was absolutely ingenious, and I have used the technique since. He glued the first fuselage part together and added tabs on the inside. Then he took the next part, dryfit without gluing, making sure lines line up and the next part reaches all the way around. thhen either started attaching in the middle or at one end, slowly gluing along until the ends met. Then it becomes obvious if a narrow sliver has to be cut off. It also helps to make sure the join is straight. Then the part is closed together and the process starts over with next part.
I've tried this, and it just seemed too cumbersome (for me, anyway) on a relatively small cross-section. But no reason why it shouldn't work.

Les (unnatural love for the BT-1)
Google Adsense