PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-19-2018, 10:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
It WOULD be nice to live in a place where B-17s fly over from time to time.

Don
As soon as I read that Don I couldn't help but think those would be the least likely words to be spoken by anyone living in Axis Europe and within reach of the USAAF during WWII!
Old 05-20-2018, 04:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
True, Garry. I should have said "In 2018."

Meanwhile, here is a shot of John Dell's table yesterday at the Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event here in Carlisle (initial report here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/629823-post15.html).

John's Memphis Belle, still under development, is in the middle of the table.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
B-17 at Dayton Ohio-ahd18a_01_john_dell_table.jpg  
Old 05-20-2018, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Not to veer this thread off but when I was a child (well I actually still am) we lived a few miles off the end of the active runway of Offutt AFB in Nebraska. I almost hurt my neck looking up at all the B-50's, KC-97's, B-47's, B-52's and even B-36's as well as countless others flying overhead. The 36's only visited on weekends the base was doing a display. I am sure now that there were also B-17's, they just all got lost in the never ending stream overhead. Looking back I do remember that no one complained about the noise. At that time every American was very proud of SAC and felt like putting up with the noise was just doing their part.

Can anyone wonder that I have been AerioplaneNut all my life?
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-20-2018, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 62.27 MB
Thanks Isaac for posting all this b-17's pictures. Was at this museum a few years ago for foll 2 days. As I am living on the other side of the ocean, you are very lucky to leave near a museum like at Dayton.

Shalom Mor
Old 05-20-2018, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor54 View Post
Thanks Isaac for posting all this b-17's pictures. Was at this museum a few years ago for foll 2 days. As I am living on the other side of the ocean, you are very lucky to leave near a museum like at Dayton.

Shalom Mor
Shalom

My work brought me to Dayton, so I am very lucky to be close by. I also volunteer now at the Air Force museum. So it is like heaven for me.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 05-20-2018, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Ever wonder what would have happened if Hell's Angels, the real first 25 mission -17 had been preserved instead of Belle. Ain't propaganda wunnerfull?
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 05-20-2018, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Looks like a great community there Don- I envy you surrounded by like minded folk.

And Michael, I guess the propaganda machine decided the name 'Memphis Belle' was more wholesome and palatable to the folks back home than 'Hell's Angels'.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
It looks like you had a great time. Thanks again for all the photos.

There is an excellent (and very expensive) book titled Memphis Belle-Dispelling the Myths by Graham M. Simons and Harry Friedman. In the book they examine the various things that lead to the Memphis Belle being selected to be the “first” to 25 missions. Hells Angels’ name was considered a potential problem. But while researching the papers of William Wyler, who directed the original Memphis Belle film, they discovered the final decision came down to a matter of comfort. The 91st Bomb Group was stationed at Bassingbourn. It was originally a base built for the RAF in 1938. As a result it was more comfortable, with permanent brick buildings, including barracks for enlisted personnel (in contrast to the Nissen huts at most other bases) and landscaped grounds with curbed roadways. Bassingbourn was known as the country club of the 8th. I guess William Wyler and his crew weren’t too interested in roughing it. Though to his credit, it is believed that Wyler flew on three missions.