PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-23-2018, 04:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtFlyR View Post
I know you've used this for some of your awesome RC foam model builds.
Yes we have! Surprised to see you here.

Here's an example of the use of the machine - it's the fuselage of a 1/24 scratch built, tissue-covered-foam Albatros D.II Radio Control model I sent to Pete.

Former Cutting Made Easier - Silhouette Cutter-a8776716-125-vents_2064x1161.jpg

The formers are plastic-foam lamination, and the detail parts (louvers, caps) are plastic -- all cut by the machine.

Relation to paper modeling? I always start with a rough paper model mock up as "proof of concept".

Quote:
Can this also copy and cut 1.5- 2 mm Depron
1.5mm yes, but the blade drags across the top of 2mm (haven't found the right settings)

Quote:
... will it copy entire paper to foam model plans?
I suppose it could, in particular if the files are vector based.

As regards that "cheat concept" applying to paper modeling -- the machine has a "print and cut" feature that adds registration marks to a printed page. Those marks align the machine before cutting to ensure the cuts line up with the print. In my experience, not close enough for the precision required for this hobby.

And it takes away the enjoyment of cutting!

Gene K
Old 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Gene... Just keeping an eye on you.

Pete
Old 06-24-2018, 05:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene K View Post
(For non-English friends: "cuppa" is cute for "cup of [tea]", meaning something MichaelS doesn't particularly favor).

Yes, I appreciate that The Machine doesn't appeal to many here, but it's an available tool, in particular for the weak-fingered like me when plowing through thicker cardboard. I assumed it would be of interest since many folks who buy larger scale kits also purchase accompanying laser cut heavy card sheets. (In that regard, I assume you've mostly spared yourself from cardboard since your good work (!) is almost exclusively in 1/100 scale).

To be clear, Michael, my "target" is heavy card substructure like formers and ribs. Certainly not suggesting/denying the pleasure of cutting. That subject has of course been discussed numerous times, for example here.

Gene K

Thanks for the clarification young fella. Yes thick cardboard and Rata are the bane of my existence too. No matter what I do I just can't seem to get a good vertical cut. That is why I have gone to the foam stuff for filler. I am also contemplating using it for formers. It sands very easily and it is thick enough so that you can get a little "shelf" (sorry can't think of a better description this early in the morning) for each fuselage piece to set on. I am a thinkin' that maybe this would obviate the need for joiners.

Probably need more coffee before I continue down this rabbit hole.

Also thanks for throwin' in the cuppa explanation. Trust me friends, I AM trying...

MS
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 06-25-2018, 03:24 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 61.90 MB
Characteristics of our hobby are low-cost and handicraft. The most expensive element in creating my models are - mostly due to slips of the mouse ;-) - ink and paper.
Very recent I 'discovered' the jigsaw I once used on plywood Disney-stuff, bought a tuft of fine wood saw-blades and found out that cutting formers from 2mm wood board can be done much neater and precise than using a snap-off knife.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Thanks for the clarification young fella.
I have several years on you, Whippersnapper.

Quote:
I am also contemplating using [foam] for formers.
Definitely works for me -- I use spray adhesive to mount the printed formers onto foam and cut through. Keeping the paper attached gives good strength, considering that the foam is weak and prone to bending/cracking along its grain. But I use 1.5mm Depron, whereas you seem to like stronger 3mm .

Quote:
... it is thick enough so that you can get a little "shelf" ... maybe this would obviate the need for joiners.
In my experience no ... unless you are really good sanding the angles required for most joins. Formers to set shape and and joining strips for ... well, joining ... are much better, in my experience.

So will you focusing your surgeon hands on larger-than-1/100 models now?

Gene K
Google Adsense
Old 06-25-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerard1938 View Post
Characteristics of our hobby are low-cost and handicraft.
Sorry if I crossed your line.

And here I was contemplating a laser printer ... and 3D printer. In my defense, as with the Silhouette, these are not one trick ponies exclusively for paper modeling.

Gene K
Old 07-17-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald
Characteristics of our hobby are low-cost and handicraft.
I appreciate (really) that there are many folks who rebel against those polluting the hobby with tools other than an Xacto knife, ink, paper, and "handicraft". However, to defend my inadequacies, I repeat ... a tool like the Silhouette cutter comes in pretty handy for repetitive "pleasures" like cutting cardboard circles and wing ribs, among other things.

In that regard, attached is another example showing the Silhouette's capability, this time cutting pieces for Nieuport 11 wheels. The larger pieces are 1:33, while the smaller is 1:100 (I only cut the wheel/cover with the Silhouette). The material is .5mm card that I got from GPM. Really good stuff at a price cheaper than a box of cereal!!!

Former Cutting Made Easier - Silhouette Cutter-michaels-one-hundreth-copy-.jpg

Gene K
Old 07-17-2018, 03:28 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
As someone who is realizing that repetitive cutting is arthritically painful, I would welcome the chance to afford a Silhouette cutter!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 07-17-2018, 05:18 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
keep an eye on Craigslist or Ebay
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-17-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
keep an eye on Craigslist or Ebay
Yes, but absolutely make sure it's new!!! There's a lot of electronic and mechanical precision built into that machine. Also, if you chance on a used model, you'll likely have to buy new mats and blades, so that's a total-cost consideration.

The Amazon price of $130, including prime shipping, is reasonable, I think ... but figure another $25 for the program upgrade (that's not reasonable ).

Gene K
Google Adsense