PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-23-2018, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Talking Aichi D3A2 “Val” in 1/100 from Aaron Murphy

Aichi D3A2 “Val”

In the late 20’s early 30’s the air forces of the world started experimenting with dive bombing. If you think about it this is just an early form of “smart bomb” with the smarts provided by the guy holding the control stick.

The “Val” was the first aircraft to drop bombs during the Pearl Harbor attack. During the war it is credited with sinking more tonnage than any axis airplane, something I did not know.

This is Aaron Murphy’s 1:33 model. He is planning on releasing this, a Pearl Harbor version and the later D3A3 which was used at Midway and Guadalcanal.

Murph had learned a lot since his earlier kits. His kits now come with internal formers and what I call “Nobi” joiners. This type of joiner I first ran into on Nobi’s kits. I think it is by far the best way to join fuselage sections. If done carefully there is no “step” between sections. It is fairly easy to convert S&P type kits to this type of joiner. You just have to do a little prior planning.

Also during development of this bird Aaron and some of the other “big hitter” paper designers were chatting on a FB Messenger group that I created. They were tossing around ideas and Aaron made some changes and also redid two of the sheets after being given some updated information. The Midway version is a little different. I believe that our friend Pericles will be beta building that kit.

This is just a few minutes work. I did my usual glue the formers to some thicker paper. I have developed the technique to glue the joiner strips on as I cut them out. Then I lay them flat under a book overnight.

Attached Thumbnails
-20180622_193538.jpg   -20180623_175023.jpg   -20180623_181508.jpg  
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 06-23-2018, 05:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Good project, we look forward to your progress.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
A Pearl Val at last! Following this one with great interest. Aaron's talent for giving builder's the simplest parts breakdown seems apparent in the pics. Makes life much easier for us scale reducers.

100% right on the 'Nobi joiners'. I use 'em on all segmented fuselage models. Works a treat.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Japanese aircraft are not exactly my area of interest but I will pay attention to this for few reasons I'll keep to myself

You are right.After building seven of Aarons designs I think internal formers are a must for larger machines,smaller ones can do without as Brunos models are a proof of that.
"Nobi " joiners are incredibly easy todo if there is sufficient space provided between sections on the sheet.I learned to work with them on old Maly kits but first I found them on Geli kit so the are an old idea.

Single former+joining strip are the reason I stayed with water based glues for so long.When joining sections together moisture in glue makes card just soft enough to be maelable against former under the strip with help of round scissor handle or round anything within reach.Makes for very smooth joint and a lot of imperfections are hidden away.

I'm currently building another of recent Aaron's designed Japs Ki-115.That's one very strange plane.

Have fun with yours
Old 06-24-2018, 03:57 PM

Busy cutting out more stuff on the Val. Funny story. I was cutting out the fuse sections and I almost contacted Mr. Murphy and said "WTF!! Why do you have to make the writing so small indicating the former positions!" Then I realized this is printed out at 33%..

Long Live 1/100!!

MS
Attached Thumbnails
-20180624_175140.jpg  
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense
Old 06-24-2018, 05:10 PM

Larga vida 1/100!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.48 MB
Booked a front seat to look closer of your progress, Michael.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBI View Post
Booked a front seat to look closer of your progress, Michael.
Excuse me Nobi, but I think you're in MY seat.

อายุยืน
Xāyu yụ̄n 1/100!
Old 06-25-2018, 03:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Is there some kind of privilege there? We have to see from the back seats?
Old 06-25-2018, 06:24 AM

Sergio,

You can have front seat. Rata just stands on his head anyway!! So glad to see my good friend Nobi here. We actually talked on the phone the other day!! He has excellent English!! Of course, not as good as my Thai (Yea, right).

I am fooling around with 1/8" (3 cm) styrofoam from take out boxers for formers. Aaron said I could try that as another way to do formers. So stay tuned.

MS
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense