PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-01-2018, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 104.06 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
That's interesting that you are in the 10th grade. I have a daughter in the 9th grade.

i am using a licensed version of AutoCad LT, cost me about $1200! I would love to have Inventor, but right now i don't have much time to learn how to use it. Thanks anyway though.

I use my CAD program to do house plans and industrial/structural drawings for a local architect and he has me booked up solid for the next six months. I get to do my paper modeling at night after I meet my day's deadlines.

Now that I know that you are wanting to learn some drafting tricks from the "old school" I will be sure to throw some of those in while i attempt to build this model.

That's really cool! I'd love to see these drafting tricks. Good luck on the model!

"The best landings are the ones you cannot walk away from" - David Windestål
Old 07-02-2018, 05:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 411.75 MB
Starting work on the cockpit now! Scared to death this is not going to go well. In the past this is were things start to go south!

One of the first problems I had do overcome when working in such a large scale is the actual size of the parts. Even some of the smaller ones will not fit on a standard sheet of card stock. So, I have to glue them together with a small strip. This usually works just fine.

In the rest of the pictures, I have attempted to detail my lamination process. Believe it or not, this is about 3/4 of the strength of two sheets glued together. not a bad trade off considering my way does not distort the finished part in any significant way.

Anyway, enjoy the pics!!!
Attached Thumbnails
GeeBee R2 Sportster (Huge Scale)-20180701_161420.jpg   GeeBee R2 Sportster (Huge Scale)-20180702_000920.jpg   GeeBee R2 Sportster (Huge Scale)-20180702_001215.jpg   GeeBee R2 Sportster (Huge Scale)-20180702_001344.jpg  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 104.06 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Starting work on the cockpit now! Scared to death this is not going to go well. In the past this is were things start to go south!

One of the first problems I had do overcome when working in such a large scale is the actual size of the parts. Even some of the smaller ones will not fit on a standard sheet of card stock. So, I have to glue them together with a small strip. This usually works just fine.

In the rest of the pictures, I have attempted to detail my lamination process. Believe it or not, this is about 3/4 of the strength of two sheets glued together. not a bad trade off considering my way does not distort the finished part in any significant way.

Anyway, enjoy the pics!!!
Lookin' good sir!

"The best landings are the ones you cannot walk away from" - David Windestål
Old 07-02-2018, 10:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Quote:
my way does not distort the finished part in any significant way.
And you are staying certain of that, no waffling?
This is pretty interesting. And good to see old drafting skills living useful lives.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 411.75 MB
There is a small amount of waffling that can be expected, but it is minimal and more importantly, there is no warping of the paper that white glue is notorious of causing. What this method does is more control the warp and even it out across the paper.

What I found in all my research is that the reason white glue warps paper so much is that it shrinks as it dries and sets up. Since paper or card stock have no elasticity, it has nothing to do but warp as the glue pulls at it.

When you glue around the edges in a small enough square or circle all the force is pulling outward toward the edges and pulls the paper tight, but since that force is much smaller and pulling in opposing directions at the same time, there is no warp. The waffling that is visible is the result of the paper being pulled tight between the glue lines.

In the picture i have set a light source on the table to accentuate the variations in the finished product as much as possible. It looks rough, but remember that the light source is at a very low angle. There are some almost creases in the paper caused by my clunky hands while applying the glue. A more careful application of the glue would eliminate all but the minor waffling pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
GeeBee R2 Sportster (Huge Scale)-20180703_083931.jpg  
Google Adsense