PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-02-2018, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
I have been following this thread and I have to say that I am impressed... If I did not have so many good models on my to do list I would definitely try my hand at doing this also.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks terrific, Glen!

Don
Old 10-02-2018, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Looking better and better Glen. As scale modellers we all should be fussy and strive for accuracy. Your willingness to take time to correct faults is clearly paying off.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Wow, Glen...that is so COOL! I sort of lost track of your build and man, it looks great. You are so close now.

I think we need to start our own WA-PAPER model club or something...WAPER?? There have to be more folks out here who build these lovely things...

Cheers,
Dan
Old 10-04-2018, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Gentleman thank you for the kind comments, wish for more building time... for me though it isn't bad to think about things for a day or two, notice and fix things, or try to, that might be better while pushing forward on the model, so trying to be patient..
--Mike1158 thanks for your support on this one
--MichaelS Thanks buddy, it takes me more effort to try to get results like some, but I like to try ...
--Falco lots of cool choices for building for sure
--Don, thanks Don hoping you would like this as much as I do building it, shaping up to look the part now which is cool on the desk....
--Rata I have made some kindof drastic corrections..but its all about the model not bugging me later that I didn't ha, it will still have issues of course but hopefully will be close
--Dan thanks man, ha I'm sure there are alot of modellers around WAPER?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Correct, Mike. Here's the Naval History and Heritage Command website with a correct image of the insignia: https://www.history.navy.mil/researc...-markings.html (scroll down to the "Aug 1919 - May 1942" entry.

The design of the star was clarified in Navy Department General Order No. 523 of 25 March 1923: "The construction is obtained by marking off five equidistant points on the circumference of the circumscribed circle and connecting each point to the two opposite points. The outer parts of the lines thus obtained form the points of the star and the red inner circle is made tangent to the sides of the pentagon formed by this construction. (Quoted in John M. Elliott, The Official Monogram US Navy & Marine Corps Aircraft Color Guide, Vol. 1, 1911-1939, Boylston, MA: Monogram Aviation Publications, 1987, p. 52.

As Mike points out, when constructed according to these instructions, the circumference of the red central disk will not touch the blue part of the insignia. The circle was to be five feet in diameter unless the chord of the wing was less than five feet, in which case the diameter was to be approximately the same as the wing chord. However, by the time Glen's Duck was flying, there had been a number of changes to the specified size of the insignia, so, in the absence of a contemporary photograph of BuNo 1649, the best bet is to go with the insignia as it appears on the airplane today (in my opinion).

Having already provided too much information, I can't help but mention that in Korea during Christmas of 1971, my family constructed a cardboard-and-aluminum foil star for the tree using this method (no red inner disk). Every year since, that star goes atop the tree - most recently having been put in place by our 18 and 23-year old grandsons, whose then-seven-year-old father helped make that star in 1971.

Don
DB,

Just saw this my friend. One of the reaons I love this forum so much. It really is like we are all family!!

Also Birder, great progress!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 10-04-2018, 01:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Very fine work! Amazing!
Old 10-04-2018, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
dam fine build the detail is great love the engine looks bl##dy alsome
Old 10-04-2018, 10:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Hi Glen...

WAPER is Washington Paper...I'm so clever.

You may like this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry3XmdzXIjY

Looking forward to more!
Dan
Old 10-08-2018, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
MS-thanks agree again, this forum has been great for a long while, due to the folks here to be sure. The tone of this forum continues although set quite a few years back now.
gomideflho thank you kindly
rifleman haha and thanks
Dan a little more work done..

Not too much work forward, spent some time on the cowling and planning for the rest of the struts, one set in..
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0122.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0123.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0124.jpg