PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Hey Dan hope it is entertaining Some work on the rear fuse, a bit tricky to fit the streamlined rear lower fuse, and moved forward to the cockpit skin, thought I would have to adjust this more, but didn't to my surprise. redrew the downstairs window, and would like to put a bit in there where one would sit if rescued down there. I drew up the piece shown that I think is the tailwheel control/ rudder control cover. Complicated locking tailwheel on the real bird, that retracts up and this little bit will cover the rear of the fuse/float junction. Internet searching for cockpit info has been fun, found the EAA cockpit 360 has a duck, and an older model cockpit at seawings. Pretty cool. No accurate cockpit for this model at all, not even the separation between front to back very close to the right place, and no cockpit details that I can use it looks like. One major error on my part, the lettering doesn't line up very well on the starboard side, but I think will likely not redo that as was a bit tricky, the aft fuse parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_2124.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_2125.jpg  
Old 07-21-2018, 12:16 PM

While researching the cockpit detail, not quite to that point yet, but am planning for next things to do, some nice pictures and 360 views are available, here's a picture from https://www.seawings.co.uk/DETAILpic...-J2F1-Duck.htm and panel photo, may have not been restored exactly to this, but is still very helpful for anyone building a Duck ..
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-duck-intpic.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-grummanj2fduckcockpit.jpg  
Old 07-21-2018, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Slight off-topic query Glen: I recall a Peter O'Toole movie from the sixties or seventies in which his character flew a Duck. Don't know the movie title, but does anyone know if that particular Duck is still in existence?
Old 07-22-2018, 06:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Probably here:

https://www.fantasyofflight.com/

This place is about 45 minutes from me.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 07-22-2018, 07:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
Slight off-topic query Glen: I recall a Peter O'Toole movie from the sixties or seventies in which his character flew a Duck. Don't know the movie title, but does anyone know if that particular Duck is still in existence?
Murphy's War. Excellent film and one of my favorite Peter O'Toole flims.

Wiki says plane used in production is on display in Dayton , Ohio museum.
Google Adsense
Old 07-22-2018, 07:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Thanks Bc. I'll have to find it and have another watch.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
An earlier version, the JF-1 in the markings of Utility Squadron One (VJ-1) has a role toward the end of "Wings Over Honolulu," along with Grumman F2Fss, some scenes aboard USS Ranger, a glimpse of a PBY, and a lot of what I think are PM-1s.

A couple of poor quality copies of the film are available on YouTube, and a much better version may be available on Netflix. When I go to the site, I get a "Malvertizing" warning and it says "Movie Not Available."

Unless you can find a good copy of the film, it may not be worth watching for the few minutes of 1936-37 era U.S. Navy aircraft, but if you do, the JF-1 shows up around 1:04.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-grumman_jf-1_wings_over_honolulu_screenshot.png   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-grumman_jf-1_wings_over_honolulu_screenshot_02.png  
Old 07-22-2018, 07:20 PM

Some cool ducks above...the one I'm working on has the green tail from the Ranger likely similar to the movie plane...that's the way it looks now, but who knows what actual colors it wore, and it spent 40 years at the bottom of a lake!
I'm working out a cockpit this is what I'm doing today, quite a bit of things to do before can move to the forward fuse. Looks a bit better in real life with regards to colors...but some cleaning up to do also
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0041.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0043.jpg  
Old 07-23-2018, 10:11 AM

one more pic cockpit, rear seat folds up and putting in this way..
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0045.jpg  
Old 07-23-2018, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Looking good, Glen. Watching with much interest....Dan
Google Adsense