PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-27-2018, 08:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Isaac,

So do you live there? I would. I was last there in 1967 believe it or not. Of course then all the aircraft were in caves.

I long to make the trek to Pensacola back to the Naval Aviation Museum. Gene K lives up there and he has promised me a guided tour.
The museum here in Dayton is not what it used to be back in the 60's. There are 4 building with over 360 aircraft and thousand of artifacts. You can spend days here.

Come on up, I will provide a personal tour.

Isaac
Old 07-28-2018, 06:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
over 360 aircraft!!! that's a lot. I hope they are better preserved than my collection

but I also do have a Duck (see here) in century scale of course

Not easy to design, but certainly worthwhile.
B
Old 07-28-2018, 10:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Thanks to everybody for their keeping this thread interesting The end of the work week brings a bit of building time, the cockpit is about done, tried to include the things I thought would be important to see there, especially the hand crank for the gear 40 cranks up or down ha, seatbelts to put in and should be ready to close up
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0050.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0048.jpg  
Old 07-29-2018, 08:25 AM

The fuselage can be pretty much completed so now can move to forward sections. I'm changing the forward parts to reflect the J2F4, the rear fuselage is the same as the 5, but the float needs some work to also fit with this change, so will be working in photoshop for awhile to adapt the float, which needs a repaint anyway to match the fuselage. Here also shows what the cockpit loosely in the fuse looks like, may take me awhile to work on the float changes, but am encouraged as the test build for the redraw fit pretty well for the most part.
The original model has a lower longitudinal former flush with the lower fuselage skins, and that connects to a similar former on the top of the float. I think that's a good way to do this and am adapting those formers to fit.
On a historical note I found a patch for the markings on the plane it represents is from the 1st utility squadron, this is all I know about it though, other than the actual plane carries this designation.
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0057.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0058.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0059.jpg  
Old 07-29-2018, 09:41 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 61.90 MB
Saw your pictures Glen and triggered open-mouthed by the 2nd from the left I tried to distill the birth of that precious bit of paper-work from the accompanying text.
Perhaps it's the poverty of my English, but how nice it would be to follow this 'scratch' step-by-step visualy.
Then it may probably become clear how some guys manage to join the smallest 3D-items fitting smack-on.
Thumbs up.
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2018, 10:37 AM

Thank you kindly for your comments gerard1938, it may be interesting for you to see what I did with the fuselage from the original. This picture compares the original printed model with my redraw. The original model has serious problems, but with some changes I was hoping it may work, the gray model page has some handwriting on it, was a earlier printing, but you can see how I joined the sections that could be joined, using photoshop, although it required pretty much a complete redraw. The top of the fuselage drawing was not aligned straight so had to do some approximating, and test fitting. However when I joined the parts I found that it would probably fit ok to my surprise. The changes to the tail section parts are more extensive, and required more work to make it buildable.
I hope the future parts will work, so still possible to not come out too well, but I have a plan in mind overall.
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0060.jpg  
Old 07-29-2018, 10:48 AM

These parts are ones I had to do from scratch, but are pretty small and could test build to refine the fit. The logo reduced in size to fit on the plane was drawn up from a picture of a patch I found on the net. Cleaned it up and redrew the lines. Pretty fun for me so far
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0061.jpg  
Old 07-30-2018, 08:04 PM

A bit further on this project for the weekend, using the construction method of the goose model and knowing that they share a basic hull design, had worked up a forward hull that thought would work, here are a couple tests, newest closer with the red line I think will be used and looking at a former from the kit it is very close to the original idea, although the kit parts do not go together properly so am happy to have this redraw working, challenge though on the fairing not worked out, will have to wait...
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0062.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0063.jpg  
Old 07-30-2018, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Stupendous, Glen. I hit only one paper model so far that I found to be "unbuildable" but just like similar plastic and resin kits I still enjoy, you are showing that "unbuildable" is code for "I can't make it fit and don't know what to do to make it fit!".

This is fun and instructive to watch.

Cheers from hotter than usual Tacoma...Dan
Old 07-31-2018, 12:42 PM

Thanks Dan I’m having fun I agree that not that many designs are unbuildable especially from the big publishers the pre CAD designs or any hand drawn designs can be off a bit but usually can be built. Often an issue or two comes up but not usually insurmountable...however I just really wanted to have a duck ha