PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-05-2018, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
The last bit of progress is the complicated fairing on the forward part of the float. I had to think about this one for awhile, but came to this solution I think will work fine and can reproduce if needed, as drew up the parts. Different fairings were present on the J2F5 than the J2F4. Here a pics with and without flash to show the shapes, the top will be trimmed after fitting the top former.
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0065.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0064.jpg  
Old 08-06-2018, 06:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Lookin' good there young fella.

In my part of the world "If it walks like a Duck and quacks like a Duck it must be a Duck!"
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 08-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Lookin' good there young fella.

In my part of the world "If it walks like a Duck and quacks like a Duck it must be a Duck!"
Ha thanks man, you know I like ducks......
Old 08-06-2018, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It has been great fun watching you execute this design/build, Glen.

As it happens, I have been re-reading about the early days of Grumman, and it is fun to track your work with that of the Grumman engineers and techs who designed the full-sized Duck.

Incidentally, a few days ago, a bald eagle flew toward our car at about 500 feet. Magnificent! There is an aery in the area and I hope for more sightings.

Don
Old 08-07-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
It has been great fun watching you execute this design/build, Glen.

As it happens, I have been re-reading about the early days of Grumman, and it is fun to track your work with that of the Grumman engineers and techs who designed the full-sized Duck.

Incidentally, a few days ago, a bald eagle flew toward our car at about 500 feet. Magnificent! There is an aery in the area and I hope for more sightings.

Don
Hey Don thanks l’m glad to hear you are enjoying this I am for sure. The history of Loening is cool for me to learn about, information regarding this piece of aviation history is quite fun. Cool Eagle sighting too! we have a couple around this summer and a GB heron squawking at 3 am today ha.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:21 AM

I'm working to complete the structure of the float, a little detail in the wheel bay
it looks like this area just was left open to drain quickly on takeoff from water. The general idea of the parts I have now, with the formers that cover the float and the lower fuse that form the junction between the two. You can see the general idea is pretty simple but should work ok although some leveling of the two will be needed, they do fit pretty well test fitting it seems.
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0066.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0069.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0067.jpg  
Old 08-08-2018, 08:28 AM

You may notice a "drop" in my photo quality, my camera of all these years gave up the ghost, unfortunately it was due to an unexpected fall (oops)
sad to break something like that, but will eventually get a replacement
Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Looking nice, great skill there.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:30 PM

Thanks Mike am having a bit of modeling fun...
Old 08-19-2018, 09:41 AM

Hello modelers, the delay in updates is a bit odd for me when working on a project, however some issues with schedule and with problems with the model. I originally glued the fuse and hull together, but after gluing and clamping with rubber band, sadly the parts were not aligned very well, and some other things came to light that did not notice before. I thought about this if was ok or to redo the progress, and I decided to separate again the parts, carefully! This enabled me to fix some things that needed improvement and the alignment pins were used to be sure this would not happen again when glued.
I can start moving forward now, and working on the lower wings, looks like redrawing but most other things won't need redrawn I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0080.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_0081.jpg