PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-16-2018, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"

Lots of reasons to build a Grumman duck for me, one of my all time favorite aircraft from the early years of aviation. Only problem, no decent model exists that I know of in 1/33 with details that would go with a 1/33 size model. Kancho designed a beautiful small duck, never intended to be built at this size, so lots of changes would be needed to upscale this convincingly. Years ago I bought the Modelik version, and was disappointed to see a poorly designed model that I think was not test built at all. Many parts would clearly not work. (few would in fact)
When Boats did the F3F however, which was a hand drawn model, I started to revisit the Duck, and wondered if some redesign might be possible, and since I have a Goose model and they share a hull, well?
Now with a few weeks of work on this one I'm thinking I might be able to build it? It has been done at least once, Google Modelik Duck images, a pretty build. I have tested some assemblies already, tried some simple model builds of certain skins and formers, redrew the hull from my experience with the Goose.
Since the J2F 4 would be the version that would likely have yellow Navy top wing, I drew up a new forward section ahead of the cockpit to be as the J2F 4 would have, and new engine/cowl. Have had to draw other new parts also and have more to do. I like the one flying example of this plane that has a cool story of it's own, now in Texas at the Mid America Museum of Flight. Will likely do this paint scheme and have been working on that.
I'm abandoning the odd formers of the Modelik version, unfortunately the hull formers needed work, and some will have to be improvised. I'm planning to "adjust" the fuse formers where needed and am starting some early work.
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_2107.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_2108.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_2106.jpg   Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-img_2117.jpg  
Old 07-16-2018, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A splendid project, Glen, and fits in with all the Interwar golden wings appearing in the Forum these days.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Weren't you involved in the Kancho-Fiddlers Green J2F project?

Don
Old 07-16-2018, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
glen, watching this with interest. odd that on some of the international forums they have built this and show decent results. of course I never translated any of the commentary so any difficulties they had weren't apparent to me. carl Beetz (golderbear) built this years ago and he related frustration at every level. Carl is a great builder and designer so he wasn't a rookie at that time. I like this aircraft also, it featured many times on the tv show black sheep squadron.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:44 PM

Don I hope to end up with a decent model, some work on design to do to get there, but I really like the Duck. I was reading about the development of this plane and was very interested in the Loening influence, I've always also liked the Loening early aircraft that have such interesting shapes and engineering advances. Leroy Grumman started his career with Loening aircraft as an engineer...news to me but not a surprise that the Duck was developed from this line. I was not involved at all with Kancho's Duck at FG, but I continue to admire this design...really cool distillation of the essence of a complicated shape.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:53 PM

Ted I'm surprised that Modelik released this model. It must surely have discouraged lots of builders. It does not build up as drawn, believe me. In fact the photos of the one nice build online states this too. The complex former structure may have saved builders in some cases from starting it, after some time studying the design I think it was likely drawn up from a wood model plan and not test built.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 127.22 MB
I tried to build this model once, long ago. It was a total failure. Nothing fitted, plans were unclear and in the end I abandoned ship and the whole thing ended up in the dustbin. So I am very interested to see how other builders cope with this one. I wrote a very bad review, which made me feel a bit guilty. Was it really this bad design or was it me?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Okay Glen. Time to step up and show us what you can do. Leroy Grumman may actually give you a $.03 raise if you pull it off!!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 07-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
I too will also be "spying" on this one.........my early memory of models involves the duck and my dad using a soldering iron to weld the seams together so it wouldn't sink in the bath tub...........my dad was NOT a modeler.

p.s. it still sank and looked horrific..............
Attached Thumbnails
Grumman J2F4 1/33 "scratch"-grumman-j2f-duck.jpg  

My Drawings

Last edited by John Bowden; 07-17-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added drawing.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:44 AM

Ha thanks guys will show early efforts pretty soon
Old 07-17-2018, 08:57 AM

John I like your artwork it does appear to be the 4 model yes? most existing Ducks are J2F5’s I was lucky enough to see the flying example from Tillamook taxiing once now this plane is at another museum but is still flying according to Addison Pemberton although he’s surprised they are reluctant to water land that one ...Kermit Weeks splashes his Duck also a 5. Addison says Weeks owns 3 Ducks???