PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-11-2018, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Once again, many thanks for all the comments/suggestions to my original post.

I've now completed the tail assembly and am satisfied with the results -as always in card modelling, one should always "quit while you're ahead" and I feel I can now move on to the main wing with some confidence.

I found that moistening the underside of the part along the line of the front edge really worked well for me; careful not to overdo it and still using a blunt scriber along the line of the leading edge, again on the underside and before dampening, will ease the formation by then rolling with dowel, rods etc. of diminishing diameter.

The same technique applies to rounding off the wingtips but in this case, I cut the tips some 3mm bigger all round the curve so that any wrinkling would hopefully be beyond the finished outline. I used an old spoon with nice rounded edges to again press down on the moistened underside. A pile of two handkerchiefs was used as the resilient base on which to do the forming and I added or subtracted one or another of these as necessary to get the right amount of "give". After forming, the tips can be cut to the finished profile.

Photos attached; a bit disconcerted to find that the lower edge of the rudder as drawn finishes below the tailplane (!), plus the trim tab is a bit odd in shape but I have to say how well it all goes together compared to the hand drawn kits of not so long ago.

Will post more photos as I progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Forming wings-img_1204.jpg   Forming wings-img_1205.jpg   Forming wings-img_1206.jpg  
Old 09-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
That looks very nice. I am still undecided on the moist leading edge thing. So far I prefer to join the trailing edge and then very slowly work the airfoil shape into the wing. So far my 1/100 Gulfhawk looks good.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 09-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Going by the quality of your work so far I think the wings will turn out fine.

What a majestic aircraft the Princess was. Sad to think how the 3 built ended their days.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
A very fine airframe there, nicely done.