PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-27-2018, 04:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Saro P45 Princess flying boat

Just completed this from a Murph's Models kit; a lovely prototype and, at 1/100 scale, quite big plus a welcome change from the Micromodels and 2mm:1 foot railway subjects which I've been working on since retirement.

I haven't done an aircraft for some years, nor ever used the self print/download process, rather than a kit and have found it a bit of a learning curve. I realised early on that the stated scale is wrong for reasons I can't understand - US as opposed to EU page sizes? - and had to reprint at 1:93 to get the correct wingspan; it would be good if a simple scale bar could be included with these downloads.

Then there is the question of which card/finish to use; 200 gsm seemed right for the size of the model and I used the local copy company to get A3 prints whose standard finish is semi-gloss which I thought would allow easy removal of any excess white pva with a slightly damp cloth. It does to an extent but can suddenly give way and the colour comes off; a "please God, make that not have happened" moment of which there were a distressing number throughout this process! Experimentation is needed prior to future efforts and I now have a can of Rustoleum matt varnish to try as a protective coating.

However, having said all that, I did enjoy this model; the parts all went together very well, apart from the tip of the planing hull which needs some adjustment to lie back against the main hull. It looks very well too, in the selected colour scheme; I haven't put it on its beaching gear as I feel that the real 'boat is much better remembered on the occasions when it was actually on the water and in the air, rather than beached and cocooned
before being broken up.

There are some errors in the design - the rear planing hull aft of the step should taper more in plan toward the rear, the float struts should be thin and parallel sided, the angle of the engine exhaust ducts relative to the wing needs considerably reducing (I remade these to suit) and the rudder joint lines are wrong in that the bottom of the rudder is below the tailplane and elevators - in this position the rudder would be inoperable!

Next on the list is either the Brabazon, also from Murph, or the Vulcan from Gary Pilsworth; I can only hope for success in the card finish problem in either of these and also some improvement in my butt jointing technique as the wing joints in particular on the Princess I found very difficult to do which is a bit galling - maybe it's the sheer size of the model.

Best wishes to all

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Saro P45 Princess flying boat-optimized-img_1207.jpg   Saro P45 Princess flying boat-optimized-img_1210.jpg   Saro P45 Princess flying boat-optimized-img_1211.jpg   Saro P45 Princess flying boat-optimized-img_1212.jpg   Saro P45 Princess flying boat-optimized-img_1213.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 10-27-2018, 05:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 179.62 MB
Very nice model, hope to see more of your works soon.
Congratulations!
Old 10-27-2018, 05:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
Very nice indeed ,great model
A-7 olympus
Old 10-27-2018, 05:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Whatever problems you encountered with this build were obviously rendered moot with the end result mister- a superb model of a truly majestic aeroplane. I've often read the stories of both this and the Brabazon and it's saddening to think the great British aircraft industry misjudged the need for both these types.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
Thumbs up

Beautiful aircraft!
I think it's perfectly done. Doesn't look like an easy model, and I can't see any mistakes on yours, so... Congrats!
Old 10-27-2018, 05:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Definitely not easy model, I agree. I looked few times on Saturday me flying boats and no, I'd rather stick with something like DC-2 or C-46 now . All the more reason to admire work of someone she can tackle models like this . You guys rock. Beautiful plane.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Looks great. Makes one want to climb aboard and fly across The Pond.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
Outstanding model!!
Old 10-27-2018, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
You did an amazing job. Looks extremely complex, and the end result is a great looking model of a classic aircraft.

Congratulations!
Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 10-27-2018, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
The boys have already said, excellent work in a model nothing simple. Congratulations.
Google Adsense