PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-14-2018, 05:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
I'm not so sure cost has anything to do with it. And hopefully MS without sounding like I'm poo-pooing what you're trying to say, I'm also pretty sure 'perceived value' is not the issue. If a product is considered good and earns a reputation as such I seriously don't think selling it 'too cheaply' is gonna put people off buying it. Aaron Murphy's stuff (considering the larger scales he does) is of VERY high quality and exceptional value. Try and buy a plastic in his scales for the same price. I doubt Aaron; or any other designer for that matter; is gonna improve sales by charging more.
I don't know what the reason is for the lack of interest is, but if I was to hazard a guess I would say shear volume of choices of models (compared to plastics) available to a limited and finite buying market. Most designers offer multiple-often over 10- variants of each subject, and then you've got repaints and so it goes. I'm certainly not complaining about this because to me this is one of the best aspects of paper modelling but the literally (again compared to plastics) thousands of choices available has got to mean a thinner slice of the pie. We would all love to see this hobby take off and be embraced by the masses and sites like this certainly promotes doing that as well as any other similar site, but sadly as with the downturn of the popularity of plastic modelling last century there are too many 'quick thrill' pursuits that attract potential enthusiasts away.
I hate the thought that a good bloke like Aaron Murphy is faced with something like this, but I don't think any individual; least of all another designer; is at fault here.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Sorry once again if I have been misunderstood.

The real culprit here is the law of Supply & Demand. No one can beat it. It did the USSR in back in the early 80's. Capitalism is a cruel master for many.

Sadly to make a go of it with paper models would require a huge upfront advertising effort. It probably only takes a good designer a few days to turnout a good kit. Where most one man band's fall down is in the marketing. As much as I hate MBA's the good ones understand this.

As I said before the economics of this hobby just amaze me.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 09-14-2018, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
I understood exactly what you were saying MS. And I doubt you're anything but 100% keerect in applying what you say to most areas of sales based businesses.

But then as you also acknowledge, the economics of this hobby are in a class of their own.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Unhappy

I was taken by surprise with this news. I think every designer has the right to stop making models any time he wants, and sometimes life ends up generating these interruptions, whether it be for changes, new jobs, health problems, or the simple fact that they get tired. I just think the reason that is causing the closure of the activities of Murph's Models is unbelievable.
As I wrote to Aaron on the thread in which he announced the closure, I think the 1/100 phenomenon is motivated by a number of factors, where price, while a factor, is not the deciding factor. I think the size and the ability to stock a large collection are decisive factors. I think that in the case of Bruno's models, simplicity in construction, the basis for building more advanced models, multiplicity of subjects with multiple choices are attractive beyond price, one American dollar may not be a big thing in the US in terms of value, but in Brazil, for example, he buys a bottle of 2-liter Coca Cola or a Big Mac, so I say the value is not the main one. The fact is that in the Bruno catalog, you can buy from the Nieuport IX to the F-16 through a multitude of versions. Like I told Aaron are different editorials. Bruno does not see in my view his "business" as one, it is not a complement to income, he is enthusiastic about the mounts, he does not charge commissioning and his speed of desing and the ability to modify his models as I did with the MiG-17 and Brent makes several models move a community that enjoys micro-models. Aaron's models are sensational even though I've always criticized the scamming of the scales. But almost all the suggestions or requests to make an airplane X or Y I commissioned, of course at a lower value than he requests because I wanted the model in my collection at the end he would have the design to market. This makes a huge difference in people's enthusiasm. And again, as I said in the other thread, I do not know of any e-publishers who use their "business" as a way of life. Which obviously does not mean they have to give or do for free. I say again, the motivation around Bruno's models is not the money or low value of their models ...
Old 09-14-2018, 09:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
MS - here is the link:

ZarkovModels Card Models Store
Google Adsense
Old 09-14-2018, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Did not know about this site. At first glance it seems fabulous!! Certainly appears as good as ecards.

Thank you so much.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 09-14-2018, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Mike,

His site is relatively new (a few years I think), but Dr. Zarkov has been designing models for many, many years. His printed kits were previously sold directly by our own Moshe Lehmer and also on the defunct Paper Paradise site (which sent you a floppy disk of the kit along with the print).
Old 09-14-2018, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
It probably only takes a good designer a few days to turnout a good kit.

Not being ugly, Michael, but I assume you haven't done any designing , in particular anything in the larger scales, right?

Gene K
Old 09-14-2018, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissorsandplanes View Post
I read this post and the corresponding posts on Murph's design thread.
I cannot accept that Aaron throws in the towel. And being mentioned by name (alias) I feel responsible.
Please support his, and others work (even before considering my cheap imitations).
It was never my intention to harm any other designer, therefore I have to much respect for them.
My sincere apologies.

YOU HAVE NOTHING TO APOLOGIZE FOR.

This entire thread has done nothing but support the idea that other designers have somehow contributed to Murphy's loss in sales.

Murphy's own comments imply that designers like Scissor and Planes have stolen his profits.

The simple fact is that Murphy is motivated by sales, as are many designers,
and he has seen sales drop off this year (as it has been for all designers)
and the recent [TEMPORARY] closure of ecardmodels has made it worse.
Now hes feeling the pinch and complaining about it.

I say to Aaron...stop your whining, and design something that people want, at a fair price, and you will make some sales.
I know Aaron well enough that I would say it to his face.

I've seen forum members threaten to leave if they don't get the love and attention they crave.
I have a feeling this is a similar type of thing...but thats just my opinion.
But to turn it into a slam against other designers (like SnP) is unfair and uncalled for.
To imply that SnP has anything to do with why Murph can't sell models is a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS
It probably only takes a good designer a few days to turnout a good kit.
And this is a moronic statement that makes an unqualified assumption
and slaps the face of any designer "good" or "bad".
Old 09-14-2018, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Holy Smokes! Designing models is very, very time consuming. The small amount the designers receive for their kits hardly justifies the time. I'm doing a haunted house right now, and I imagine I have about 40 hours in it and it isn't done. And that's a house, not a fuselage and wings. Quality work takes time.

These designers have to be doing it for the joy of doing it. The little bit of cash that comes in is just a bonus
Google Adsense