PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-14-2018, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
YOU HAVE NOTHING TO APOLOGIZE FOR.

This entire thread has done nothing but support the idea that other designers have somehow contributed to Murphy's loss in sales.

Murphy's own comments imply that designers like Scissor and Planes have stolen his profits.

The simple fact is that Murphy is motivated by sales, as are many designers,
and he has seen sales drop off this year (as it has been for all designers)
and the recent [TEMPORARY] closure of ecardmodels has made it worse.
Now hes feeling the pinch and complaining about it.

I say to Aaron...stop your whining, and design something that people want, at a fair price, and you will make some sales.
I know Aaron well enough that I would say it to his face.

I've seen forum members threaten to leave if they don't get the love and attention they crave.
I have a feeling this is a similar type of thing...but thats just my opinion.
But to turn it into a slam against other designers (like SnP) is unfair and uncalled for.
To imply that SnP has anything to do with why Murph can't sell models is a lie.

And this is a moronic statement that makes an unqualified assumption
and slaps the face of any designer "good" or "bad".

Sorry David, but at no time did I say that. In Brazil there is a slang to express complaint is an onomatopoeia of a small child crying: mi, mi, mi. I particularly think there is a lot of "mimimi" in both Aaron's positioning and in the reactions of friends here with the news that he will stop drawing.

I tried to explain here and in the other thread that the line of business that other designers have (Bruno) was more successful, for a number of factors, but the main thing is that he does not need from my view of sales of models to live or pay bills. So being a hobby as it is for anyone who just builds models, there are no compromises and concerns.

I think Aaron sees it as a business and particularly the choices of some models are not popular, prices considering other market options like the Marek models, either their own and those of the Kampfflieger are expensive. But I've told him that on some occasions.

I think everyone can do whatever they want with their talents, although the total commodification of an activity always removes some human aspects in creation. I think maybe today Murph's Models suffer from a disconnect with your audience ... But that's what I say again, and the way I see things.

I agree that Bruno should not apologize, it's not his fault ...
Old 09-14-2018, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomidefilho View Post
Sorry David, but at no time did I say that.
Just to respond for better understanding...
nothing that I said had anything to do with anything you said or didn't say.
there were no direct references to you in my post.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I agree with everything else you said.

Last edited by airdave; 09-14-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Further to my earlier post regards no other designer being at fault here, even though they're aircraft models, what AM produces and what Bruno produces are two totally different animals. No reasonable person who has ever designed or even built a paper model aircraft could argue the view for too long that the two could ever be in competition with each other. Chalk and cheese. I've poured the vast bulk of my model purchasing dollars into buying S&P designs. To this point, hundreds of them actually, and also at this point, more than I'll probably ever get to build. But like most modellers, that bit of logic and common sense won't stop me from continuing buying. Bruno caters for EXACTLY what sort of model I like building while, other larger scale designers, nowhere near as much. As I said earlier, I would love to be in the financial position of supporting all designers, but being a humble working class schlub, my chosen hobby is way down on the weekly budget priority list. Not crying poor or anything here, because I know there are many modellers who are far worse off than me. Just stating facts.
I only know Aaron Murphy through this forum and some FB discussions and he seems like a thoroughly decent fella with second to none design skills (the fact he's color blind makes it more amazing) plus a great sense of humor. It truly breaks my heart to see him faced with this dilemma.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
To me, all paper model kits are the same when you dig deep into your pocket to see if you can afford it. If you have more, you spend more. If you have less, you spend less. AM models, too bad, fall on the "have more" zone and you do need to have more to buy them.

I had once exclaimed on his bundle sale of the forward-swept bundle containing 10 kits at $15 meaning $1.5 per kit. He said that was better than no sale at all. Taking an example of that experience, perhaps Murph can do that again to boost sale - A bundle of say 5-8 kits of any of his models at $10 each?

Papermate
Old 09-14-2018, 10:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
As one who spends a great deal of time working with eCommerce websites, I think that some might not fully comprehend the bigger picture here. Running these sites regardless of what sells or doesn't costs money. Web hosting, domain renewals, SSLs, email accounts, and payment processors are just some of the costs that come due. And they pile up quickly, often when its the most inconvenient time. Then as an eCommerce owner, when you happen to check the stats in Google and Jetpack and see that visits, clicks and especially sales are down, it hits you that you are going to be in the red for the month. And if this goes on for 3-4 months after all of the time and effort you've put into the endeavor, its disheartening. Even if it picks up for a month or two, if its not sustainable you begin to question whether or not its worth the expense and hassle to continue running the site from your pocket since you're not generating enough to cover the expenses and some sort of return on the product you've spent countless hours creating. This is the reality of being a small eCommerce website owner. If you can't sell it for what you believe its worth, the solution to the problem is hardly ever cutting your prices deeper. In the end you know that doing so is only a shorter term solution to a broader issue. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by Gman93643; 09-14-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-14-2018, 11:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 788.17 MB
I am but another consumer with thoughts I probably think are right even though they may not be but...I have always felt welcomed on this site by all and whether we like it or not Murph has a right to do with his products as he pleases...i vote we all just make sure we remember how close something as simple as paper can bring us and we continue to show each other the love and support everybody deserves. I actually think this has been and continues to be done quite well on this site. Which is what having a hobby is all about. Sharing with others. Just my 2 cents as well. Hope i havnt hijacked the thread.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
And this is a moronic statement that makes an unqualified assumption and slaps the face of any designer "good" or "bad".
Translation: ''Au contraire dear fellow. Designing a paper model is often a difficult, laborious and time consuming task. Perchance you might reconsider your erroneous assumption.''
Old 09-15-2018, 07:14 AM

I don't speak French.
Previous interactions have detailed a lack of sophistication...lets not overstate anyone's status.

Par hasard....as-tu vu mon bateau?
Old 09-15-2018, 07:22 AM

Let's not. BTW it means 'to the contrary'. Hope that helps.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:36 AM

Est-ce vraiment le cas?
Je demande encore, puisque vous l'avez manqué de toute évidence la dernière fois ...
par chance....as-tu vu mon bateau?

shhh I can hear Google Translate opening ....
Google Adsense