PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-15-2018, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Wow. For someone who doesn't speak French you sure can speak... French.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 751.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
Wow. For someone who doesn't speak French you sure can speak... French.
Did you notice the little Canadian-French accent?
As-tu remarqué le petit accent canadien-français? (even if "canadien" in French would already mean French-Canadian)
Old 09-15-2018, 08:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Are you sure Google is translating? Sounds much lower in the anatomy to me.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
par chance....as-tu vu mon bateau?
Non, mais j'ai un velomoteur...

(Junior high school French class. All I remember. But enough about me, back to the boat...)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Look, I think this corner of the forum is not even the right place to have this discussion. I think there's a crisis that Murphs models are going through, they can have a lot of technical explanations, as everyone I've even scored here. This is an international forum so the reality of the modelers participating here is completely different. My country, for example, suffers from a political and economic crisis that has not been seen for 30 years, I was one that had to tighten my pocket when it comes to acquisitions, I'm not poor, but far from being rich in Brazil, always like everything is a priorities. I think the designer has every right to know when it's time to stop, whether the reason is commercial or subjective (and in this case it seems to me to be the second). I have the ability to speak as one of the greatest testers of Aaron's models. As I explained: They follow a different editorial line. Let me give you an example: until a few years ago Aaron was against putting formers on his models. He would prefer the method of Fiddlers Green and the DGA, as he was creating more models he started putting formers into his designs. This certainly astonished modelers, who do not like or do not feel empowered to build with them. All the paper model designers I know, including some from major publishers like GPM. WAK, Etc. do not live this work, and I seem to be that question behind all this controversy. I still have not talked to Aaron and I will see if I can do this between today and tomorrow, although I say again: personal and subjective questions unfortunately we can not help. And even if we could, this help has a limit, even if it is material. I think we've exposed the problem too much, including exposing it, in an inappropriate place on this forum.
Google Adsense
Old 09-15-2018, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.56 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I don't speak French.
Previous interactions have detailed a lack of sophistication...lets not overstate anyone's status.

Par hasard....as-tu vu mon bateau?
Est-ce un bateau-bus sur lequel sont peints des hippos ?

Is it a bus/boat combo with hippos painted on it?

(there is a service in Paris called "Batobus" but they use actual boats, not amphibious buses)

I was busy with work this week and couldn't reply before. I'm sad that Murphy is stopping but I don't see why Bruno is mentioned. English being a second language for me (or a third one actually), I'll stop here.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 136.87 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomidefilho View Post
Let me give you an example: until a few years ago Aaron was against putting formers on his models. He would prefer the method of Fiddlers Green and the DGA, as he was creating more models he started putting formers into his designs. This certainly astonished modelers, who do not like or do not feel empowered to build with them. All the paper model designers I know, including some from major publishers like GPM. WAK, Etc. do not live this work, and I seem to be that question behind all this controversy. I still have not talked to Aaron and I will see if I can do this between today and tomorrow, although I say again: personal and subjective questions unfortunately we can not help. And even if we could, this help has a limit, even if it is material. I think we've exposed the problem too much, including exposing it, in an inappropriate place on this forum.
In my humble opinion, I have always thought that all models should include formers. The reasons are mainly twofold: a) It gives the model correct shape which is important if you are making an accurate replica and b) it also simplifies 100% assembly. When a model has no formers, it comes out flimsy not accurate and much, much more hard to build it accurately and straight. They also help to hold wing spars, landing gears and other structural parts of the model. If a guy dislikes formers, well, if they are included just throw them away.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I agree with what Rick above says.I need formers with any fuselage larger than one inch diameter.I can sort of do it without them with fuselage smaller than two inches diameter but anything over that and formers are a must.My B-18 and DC-2 builds tough me that.If someone doesn't need them they can skip but they should be included just like opaque/blue/whatever glass.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Laying in bed thinking (instead of sleeping) last night about Aaron's plight. I think MichaelS may be right when he touched on marketing earlier in the thread. What got me thinking was papermate mentioned Fiddlers Green and their apparent ability to keep plugging on for years.
When plastic models started getting into swing decades ago they were marketed pretty much as toys and aimed primarily at children. While most kits were adult quality, manufacturers knew that their biggest returns would come from sales to kids. Look at old advertising posters and if one can get hold of an old catalogue, it's quite clear who's being targeted. Growing up in the 60's (and getting hooked on modelling as a kid) it's safe to say the vast bulk of model kit sales were through toy shops and the toy sections in department stores.
I know it's a far different world now, but go onto Fiddlers Green site and have a look at how they present it.

Dunno, I might be barking up the wrong tree here but food for thought.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 136.87 MB
Definitively plastic models started as toys. They were very cheap, not too accurate but who cared? Case in point: Aurora Plastics Corp. In business from 1951 through 1977. They sold millions and millions of plastic models. Several kids saved their daily allowance to buy the latest "Famous Aurora Fighters" in 1/48 scale for about 98 cents. Some for even less money. Today, a plastic kit costs a small fortune. Yes, they are much better but in my opinion, they are not worth the enormous costs.
Google Adsense