PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-15-2018, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
I would not be surprised is this construction method is somewhat the same for the real wing... the result is just amazing.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
I always wondered the rational for paining the underside of the wings black on one side and white on the other. Who were they fooling? It was ineffective anyway.

and while on the topic, there were big bulls eye on the wings top, bottom and fuselage sides. Worse, were the Japanese Hinomaru . Big red circles all around on a camouflaged plane.

Isaac
Old 10-15-2018, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
I always wondered the rational for paining the underside of the wings black on one side and white on the other. Who were they fooling? It was ineffective anyway.

and while on the topic, there were big bulls eye on the wings top, bottom and fuselage sides. Worse, were the Japanese Hinomaru . Big red circles all around on a camouflaged plane.

Isaac

The black / white underwings were for protection against friendly fire incidents. Since the Brits were flying over their own country they didn't care about camouflage just recognition!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 10-15-2018, 05:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
The black / white underwings were for protection against friendly fire incidents. Since the Brits were flying over their own country they didn't care about camouflage just recognition!
I read somewhere Brits had done some number crunching in mid 30s in regards to airplane losses in armed conflicts in 1920/30.Black wing was result of that.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Invasion stripes served the same purpose, recognition by friendly forces. Camouflage doesn't really hide the plane as much as it breaks up the outline to make it harder to target, like the camouflage on ships makes the outline harder to focus on. When there was less chance of aerial attack you started to see the raw metal schemes which eliminated weight.

Mike
Google Adsense
Old 10-16-2018, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, interesting discussion about "to be, or not to be" seen

Gluing the upper wing skin panels was the same as in the Mk.IXc: it looked tricky and proved to be easy! The upper skins have small doors that open when the flaps are extended. The pilot can check the flap position this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c77.jpg   Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c78.jpg   Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c79.jpg   Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c80.jpg   Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c81.jpg  

Old 10-17-2018, 03:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 439.73 MB
Hello
Excellent work.
The cover of the cockpit is going to be a total challenge
Let's see how it works out
Anyway, awesome your Spitfire
Regards

P.D.
I do not know how you will solve it, being a curved surface
Suggestion: make a positive and curve the acetate on the positive with heat.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Fantastic, great Spitfire.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
@ Llaut Mallorquin - Thanks for the comment Halinski has canopy accessories for most of their models, including the Spitfire, and I never hesitate to buy them. They fit very well but applying the frames is problematic on some models...
@ Mike - Thanks

Mating the wings to the fuselage is often a demanding task. In the Spitfire, the low set wing links to the fuselage with complex shapes and large root fillets. Much care was needed but I find the result quite satisfactory.
Attached Thumbnails
Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c82.jpg   Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c83.jpg   Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c84.jpg   Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c85.jpg   Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c86.jpg  

Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c87.jpg   Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/33 - Halinski-spitfire-i-c88.jpg  
Old 10-17-2018, 06:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Beautiful build on this. The wings, which are so difficult because of the shape came out wonderful.
Nice kit with fine weathering and scuff marks.

JoeG

Tags
1/33, halinski, spitfire mk.ia