PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-04-2018, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Watch with the great interest.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
I am happy to report my first challenge with this kit... connecting the forward fuselage half and the air intake to the aft fuselage section. Because instructions were not clear we have several choices here:

1 - Cut out the "NOSE HERE" and "CHIN INTAKE HERE" Sections of the former and insert the forward fuselage and the air intake into it - This should allow it to maintain the correct shape and have a flush seam.

2 - Cut the tabs of and do a "Butt Joint" - Connection could be a weak spot on the kit and obtaining the correct shape could be a challenge.

3 - Create new formers out of the "NOSE HERE" and CHIN INTAKE HERE" and do a former to former "Butt Joint" - This would be a strong connection with proper shape.

Since I need to travel for work tomorrow from Friday to Monday, I will think about it and make a decision when I get back. Until then please let me know what option you think is best.
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's F-16 Beta Build-f-16-wip-1.jpg   Murph's F-16 Beta Build-f-16-wip-2.jpg  
Old 10-04-2018, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 304.48 MB
My two cents worth.
If this kit will be offered in a lo vis livery .
It would be nice if Aaron adds a no markings tail to the kit , for easy quick repaints .
Old 10-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I originally designed it to be a butt joint. Fold the tabs down to provide extra gluing surface.

But if you can come up with a better way to do it, let me know and I'll adjust it.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I would print that one former second time just so I can use it in froward sections from this joint.It would result in former-to-former joint but since both are the same it should mate nicely,maintain correct shape and avoid "weak spot".

I'm beginning to wonder if I should try F-16 for a change
Google Adsense
Old 10-10-2018, 05:40 AM

Sorry guys but my workload more than tripled at work and I find myself with very little time to build. Here is the progress... Since this is a beta build, I want to stick to the "as designed" approach and I joined the upper forward fuselage section to the aft fuselage section as suggested by Murph... it worked quite well but it was a bit tricky to maintain the shape as there is no formers for that area. In the future I will create extra former to help but I will also try different methods in future builds. The only issue I have is a misaligned "R" on the left side of the kit, everything else is just perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's F-16 Beta Build-wip-1.jpg   Murph's F-16 Beta Build-wip-2.jpg   Murph's F-16 Beta Build-wip-3.jpg   Murph's F-16 Beta Build-wip-4.jpg  
Old 10-18-2018, 07:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.91 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco View Post
I am happy to report my first challenge with this kit... connecting the forward fuselage half and the air intake to the aft fuselage section. Because instructions were not clear we have several choices here:

1 - Cut out the "NOSE HERE" and "CHIN INTAKE HERE" Sections of the former and insert the forward fuselage and the air intake into it - This should allow it to maintain the correct shape and have a flush seam.

2 - Cut the tabs of and do a "Butt Joint" - Connection could be a weak spot on the kit and obtaining the correct shape could be a challenge.

3 - Create new formers out of the "NOSE HERE" and CHIN INTAKE HERE" and do a former to former "Butt Joint" - This would be a strong connection with proper shape.

Since I need to travel for work tomorrow from Friday to Monday, I will think about it and make a decision when I get back. Until then please let me know what option you think is best.
I bought the black and whit version of the F-16 before the NASA bundle came out. I was building it and when I came to this point I was like you, just how to connect the back haft and front haft. I thought a mistake had been made in the design. Thanks for the help for finding a solution. Can't wait to see what comes next.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:24 AM

Glad I could help... but right now it's impossible for me to model due to work and travel for work. I do plan on finishing this build probably during the holidays. For some reason in the aviation business people rush to get things done before the holidays.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:50 AM

Well the F-16 is still on the back burner but here is a quick and dirty build to scratch an itch. I have been looking at T-38 videos lately and I could not help myself since I had a T-38 kit. This is a full size "Quick and Dirty" build... all stock no customization.
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's F-16 Beta Build-t-38-1.jpg   Murph's F-16 Beta Build-t-38-2.jpg  
Old 07-08-2019, 06:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.83 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco View Post
. This is a full size "Quick and Dirty" build... .
What scale is "full size"?

Gene K
Google Adsense