PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-22-2018, 04:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Looking good Chris. Building simple looking jets often turn out to be more difficult than I thought- a monster this size just has to be even harder!
Old 12-23-2018, 09:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 117.66 MB
The wings on a Vulcan do tend to look a bit droopy. Something to do with the wing shape and the leading edge extension adds to that effect.
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Vulcan-v0_master.jpg   Avro Vulcan-_45009545_vulcan_466.jpg  
Old 12-24-2018, 04:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Thanks Karl, nice photos!

The wing is really quite complicated and the leading edge does indeed have a slight droop about where the planform changes (that's my next problem!) which increases towards the wing tips; the trailing edge and the section nearest the fuselage are, however, based around horizontal centre lines according to the drawings.

The issue with this kit design is that the air intakes and the whole wing had a pronounced droop when I constructed it unaltered and looked completely wrong.

Chris
Old 02-14-2019, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Just finished and, as I had already realised, so many more snags to be overcome since my last post!

The engine fairings were indeed half as long as they should have been, the cockpit is the right length but too wide and high and the screen had too many panes in it, wrong angle etc. The last straw was the wheels which are shown as 16 large and two small, rather than 16 small (for the main bogies) and two large for the nosewheel; I should not have liked to build these as offered and subsequently discard because they looked wrong.

Undercarriage completely discarded and fabricated instead from card (laminated as necessary), cherry sticks and fuse wire.

Despite the above, somehow an enjoyable model but really not as good as I would have liked because of constant rebuilding, extensive trimming and touching in white areas etc.; the download design from this site could obviously do with extensive revision but as I haven't seen any other complete or even half complete builds, I can only assume that there wouldn't be too much interest.

One would get a better model from the Airfix plastic kit at this size but I much admired Shrike's immense 1/33 Flymodel version - I couldn't get away with that in our house although I would love to try!! A wingspan of 338mm is enough for me.

Best wishes to all

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1237.jpg   Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1238.jpg   Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1240.jpg   Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1242.jpg  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
impressive bird....very good job

YOAV
Google Adsense
Old 02-14-2019, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Very good work Chris.At one time I was considering building this Vulcan since it's the only decent sized paper model of Vulcan aside from insanely complicated Flymodel.Maybe one day...
Old 02-14-2019, 11:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Excellent build!!! I love what you did with the windows.
I recently found out that 2015 was the last season.... I've been out of touch with all the news lately.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
A very nice airframe, I believe XH558 was grounded due to the support and maintainence company withdrawing from their contract due to staff deficiencies with the relevant experience rather than airframe/engine issues. The scream of the engines is amazing and something I am glad I heard first hand too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tUtmR9fFnM About 2:45 for the scream.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Despite all the challenges you've still produced a fine model Chris. Maybe GP will revisit this model one day but going by your experience with the required improvements I wouldn't blame him if he didn't. More so considering the amount of time he must pour into continually expanding the list of free models he creates for us.
I've got this Vulcan model on file and one day I'd like to give it a shot. When (more likely if) I do I'll refer back to this thread so at least I'll know what to expect.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Great job and a shame that the build was so hard. This is one I want to tackle in the future.
Google Adsense