PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-31-2018, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Avro Vulcan

Just started the free above download from Gary Pilsworth which I'm doing at 1/100 scale and have now completed the internal fuselage former assembly.

It's taken some working out but after a morning's card wrangling I think it's ok; if anyone else has had any experience/difficulty with this model, these photos may help and if it's wrong, please also let me know!

The nose is also getting there and I've been very pleased with the card protection spray I applied before starting construction (Rustoleum Clear Matt) which seems to have all but eliminated the problems I'd been getting on my Princess model in allowing clean removal of excess glue and unwanted blemishes.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1214.jpg   Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1215.jpg   Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1216.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Tantalising! If it turns out anything like your Princess it will be a beauty.

Last edited by Rata; 10-31-2018 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-31-2018, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
Good luck on this one, have fun
A-7 olympus
Old 10-31-2018, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
glad to see this one being built all the best
Old 10-31-2018, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I'm curious more than interested in building it myself.There were few things I couldn't quite grasp just by looking at parts.
Google Adsense
Old 11-01-2018, 08:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Gary Pilsworth sure does some very interesting subjects. Looking great so far young fella..,
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 12-22-2018, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Progress - slow - photos for this project attached.

A tricky build, mainly because I found that, having built the wings as per the kit, they were drooping noticeably and it's taken more time than I really wanted to spend to find out what's wrong with it and adjust/rebuild accordingly. Essentially, I believe that it's been drawn as if the side and front elevations of the wing apply throughout the span without any allowance for the changes in wing chord and wing dihedral, giving a wing that's hugely thick at the root as it should be and just tapering down to the tips.

The photos explain (perhaps - I know what I'm talking about even if it's totally unclear to you!) Using drawings in David Filde's exhaustive technical study, I drew up formers to the correct profile between the body and the first rib out and redrew this rib as a proper aerofoil shape (the rib which fits against the body needs adjustment too - trace the correct shape off the body, don't use the kit template).

The air intakes also needed re-working in width and front profile, plus the splitters within and the curved plate thingies next to the body (vortex generators??) had to be added in this area.

With all this mucking around with the wing, the skins needed trimming which I did along the leading edges - not as much as I had thought they would but a lot of trial and error was required, and the wing wheel wells were also affected in depth.

Can't believe that a relatively simple looking craft is actually so complex in its geometry, so I've gained a good deal of interesting, but quite useless knowledge, in the process; good for keeping dementia at bay I hope!

Will post when I've struggled a bit further; the wing underside engine
fairings are too short I've recently noticed and I have yet to adjust and complete the rest of the wings so it won't be any time soon!

Happy Christmas to all.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1226.jpg   Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1227.jpg   Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1229.jpg   Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1234.jpg   Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1235.jpg  

Avro Vulcan-optimized-img_1236.jpg  
Old 12-22-2018, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
You're doing a great job. A very beautiful model.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Nobody's perfect,I'm sure Garry will agree

Some models need to be trimmed here and there,some are fine from the start.You are doing a good job on those wings even if I'm sure what the problem was.No matter,you got a hang of it so keep going.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
watched a great doco about the vulcan,seems it was designed by same guy as lancaster and there is only 10 years difference between deisgns,and you think you had problems lol
Google Adsense