PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-04-2018, 07:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
I think the build looks good and appreciate the chance to see it. Jeff, thank you, Sir you are a Scholar and a Gent.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.66 GB
BB;
Your build really did turn out great! looks well done man..
Jeff
Old 11-05-2018, 08:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Yes...it is nice looking design.

But Jeff...the combination of two different Star and Bar insignia isn't correct, is it?
If the plane was updated to the red striped insignia, wouldn't the wings be the same?
Or was this a privately owned aircraft where they used both insignia on purpose...non-military?
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Through all this discussion, I never noticed the red bars missing from the fuselage insignia!

Now that I have Jeff's model, I note that the Bureau of Aeronautics Number (BuNo) is 85594, which gives me another handle for searching. That number was assigned to a TBM-3E, so the aircraft must have been modified to 3U utility/target tug configuration after delivery to the Navy. It was eventually purchased by Hank Moore’s TBM Inc, given the civil registration N1366N ,and converted to a water bomber. I found a couple of images of the aircraft in that configuration, by which time the colorful target tug markings were gone and the plane was natural metal overall with black markings. It crashed at Porterville, California on 18 August 1973.
Grumman Avenger Registry - A Warbirds Resource Group Site
https://nbavengers.com/489-2/usa-west-coast-california/ (last image on the page)
US Navy and US Marine Corps BuNos--Third Series (80259 to 90019) (look for "85594)

I'm afraid I have gotten far afield of your repaint, Jeff, but this kind of thing fascinates me.

Don
Old 11-05-2018, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
The history trail of an aircraft or vehicle is definitely a fun part of model researching
as I have found dozens of times over the years.
Its really cool to see where they all ended up and how they evolved.
I've read so much of Joe Baugher's site too!

Like I said, if its a civilian thing, I can accept the mixed insignia,
but it wouldn't have been that way in military use ...would it? I am now very curious.

Looks like Conair (Canada) used a lot of these aircraft!
Someone (Jeff) will have to do a Conair paint scheme
...I have a Conair Texan!
Google Adsense
Old 11-05-2018, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Interesting about the fire aircraft. I remember a TBM and Grumman Guardian that flew out of the local airport in 67 or 68. They used to use Red Bluff as a base for air tankers in the 60s and 70s. They flew the single engines out of here along with B17s (the plane that became the CAF's Sentimental Journey was one) and the occasional B25 (one of them crashed at the end of the runway in 68 or there abouts). So when I was a kid I used to see a lot of the old warbirds.

Mike
Old 11-05-2018, 09:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Grumman Avenger Registry - A Warbirds Resource Group Site

I'm afraid I have gotten far afield of your repaint, Jeff, but this kind of thing fascinates me.

Don
Don,

On the above link the very last TBM-3E listed, N9599C, ending has had a severe impact on my life. The pilot was my dad. I've been searching for anything about this particular Avenger.

Bought a B/W model and would like to repaint to the specific color. The only things I have is the N Number and that it was number B14 as a fire fighter. Do you happen to know where else I might find more information?

The NTSB report had very little to go on: MKC71FCD84

The second link I've explored the Wyoming, California, Texas and New Brunswick locations, nothing available-have it saved and keep checking in case of updates.

Mike
Old 11-05-2018, 10:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Don,

On the above link the very last TBM-3E listed, N9599C, ending has had a severe impact on my life. The pilot was my dad. I've been searching for anything about this particular Avenger.

Bought a B/W model and would like to repaint to the specific color. The only things I have is the N Number and that it was number B14 as a fire fighter. Do you happen to know where else I might find more information?

The NTSB report had very little to go on: MKC71FCD84

The second link I've explored the Wyoming, California, Texas and New Brunswick locations, nothing available-have it saved and keep checking in case of updates.

Mike
Mike,

You're probably aware of this thread but just in case: Warbird Information Exchange • View topic - MYSTERY TBM N9594C

Ryan
Old 11-05-2018, 10:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm sorry, Mike, but I do not having any information on that aircraft or any ideas about where to search.

I got a hit on N9599C at this site, which has a lot of information about Avenger tankers, but it does not add anything to the info you have: https://nbavengers.com/489-2/u-s-mou...d-wyoming-new/

These two sites have images and info on Avenger Air Tankers that flew for Air Tankers, Inc., but nothing on your Dad's airplane:
https://nbavengers.com/gldx-glex-ser...s-norfolk-b19/
https://nbavengers.com/gldx-glex-ser...s-norfolk-b16/

This site covers fire bombers and lists BuNo 85594 (N1366N), but does not list spray tankers like N9599C. GEOFF GOODALL'S AVIATION HISTORY SITE

I wish I could be more help. I will keep an eye out for any info on N1366N.

Don
Old 11-06-2018, 10:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Thanks Ryan and Don!

Mike
Google Adsense