PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-09-2019, 07:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Question to Don:

Stars in fuselage of most of F4Fs seem to far larger than on other US aircraft,especially those without "meatball" and before bars were added.Was there a reason for this or this is regulation size that looks big on smaller F4F?
Old 03-09-2019, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Karol - Quick answer is that after Pearl Harbor, and the shoot down or damage of several Navy aircraft by U.S. antiaircraft guns, the Pacific Fleet instituted measures to make U.S. Navy aircraft more identifiable. This included painting red and white horizontal stripes on the rudder, the application of large star national insignia on all four wing surfaces, and the application of a 50-inch star on the fuselage. Hence the big star insignia. There was more than one directive, there was some leeway in the placement of the stars, and units used some individual interpretation, so you will see a lot of variation in photographs of the time.

I can also show you images of SBDs and SOCs with oversized stars. And the standard 50-inch star does look bigger on the little Wildcats.*

Since the Japanese national emblem was red, it was believed that AA gunners and fighter pilots were tending to shoot at anything red, so after the Battle of the Coral Sea, the red centers and red rudder stripes were removed. After Midway things settled down a bit, but as you know, there were a number of further changes as the war progressed - bars added in the belief that the round national emblem could be confused with the Japanese Hinomaru emblem, red outline, then red outline replaced by blue, and then pure white stars and bars on Navy Blue aircraft.

That's the short version.

How's the 28th Bomb Squadron B-18 coming along?

Don

* One of my grandsons played the violin and the other played viola. The viola-playing grandson once asked me, "Do you know why violas are bigger than violins?" His answer was, "They're actually the same size, but violin players have bigger heads." rim shot
Old 03-09-2019, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
Some of the stars on the F4Fs where absativley posolutely huge.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Next Model.

This is Bruno's old DH.82 Tiger Moth that I recoloured into an RAAF version operated by No.1 Air Observer School at Cootamundra New South Wales ca 1943. Cootamundra is a small rural town and significant to me as my late mum was born there just before the war.
This will be available through Ecards along with the others in this thread. I've got more Tigers done and will post on here as I build. And yes, there's more Ryans on the way too.
Attached Thumbnails
My S&P Repaints-img_9312.jpg   My S&P Repaints-img_9306.jpg   My S&P Repaints-img_9313.jpg   My S&P Repaints-img_9314.jpg   My S&P Repaints-img_9315.jpg  

My S&P Repaints-img_9316.jpg  
Old 04-17-2019, 06:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
Thanks Don.B-18 is stuck "on drawing board".I got side tracked with other builds.It feels like trying to catch few birds at the same time and getting none.

Just few days ago I got my DH.82 too so some day I'll get to that too.I was checking out paint schemes and one like Rata just did was spotted too.Very good work on both recolor and rigging.
Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2019, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
RAAF WWII aircraft... I love subjects like this! You really have to do more of them!

That Tiger Moth came out great.

Have you considered RAAF Walrus too? I guess you know why I'm asking...
Old 04-18-2019, 03:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Wonderful build, great airframe.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Awesome. Beautiful work. Very well done!
Old 04-18-2019, 04:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
Every time Rata.... every time it’s another perfect build!!! I zoom in as much as possible and I don’t see not one flaw with your builds. No droopy wings or spaghetti struts, no misalignments, you even include a pilot (WTF!!!) Sorry for my rant... I had to let it out. Great build as always.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco View Post
......you even include a pilot (WTF!!!) Sorry for my rant... I had to let it out. Great build as always.
I think I've worked out a way to get instrument panels in on future builds too. Uh, oh...cue another Falco rant!

Kidding aside, I appreciate the compliments. With all the builds I've got behind me, as well I should be getting better at this wonderful and rewarding hobby.