PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-11-2019, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diderick A. den Bakker View Post
Perhaps an idea to change the POTW we have now had for several months?!
I agree!
Old 04-12-2019, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
So, apart from your hands, the trick is on the acetate. Thanks for the explanation! I'm yet to find the best foil to work with...

Tip top assembly Is it anything missing? Looking forward to more pictures.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work on the canopy Erik.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
well what s left to say but dam fine build though out
Old 04-14-2019, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The 40mm guns

Thank you PM's! And also thank you for the five star rating, forgot to mention that last time!

Well, a few more things to do before the Hurricane is finished. As said before, the Mark IID version was used in Northern Africa as a tank buster and the aircraft were fitted with 40mm guns underneath the wings.

When comparing actual pictures with those of models built by others I concluded that rolling the paper parts for the guns would result in probably something like 105mm howitzers underneath the wings. So I used 1.2mm dia plastic rods instead and used parts of the paper barrels to provide for the details. Painted the finished barrels with gun metal.

The gun fairings (is that the correct word?) consist of two halves to be curved and then glued together. I used small strips of thin paper to neatly join the two halves, otherwise it would mission almost impossible. At the front side the fit wasn't that good and I glued a small strip of paper over the gap. Likewise on the rear end. Orlik be forgiven.
Also I added a small former inside the fairings to glue the inward protruding gun against - to make the assembly stronger.

Finally glued the fairings over the elliptically shaped formers on the wings. The guns are pointing a bit downwards and slightly inwards. That should be correct I guess, the instructions do not provide much information on that.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9824.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9825.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9837.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9826.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9827.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9828.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9830.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9838.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The Final Details!

Time for the final details of this very well designed model, which has been a joy to build! Some of these details are included in the kit, others aren't. Considering the level of detail of this Orlik model, it's surprising that not all are included. Never mind, let the many Hurricane pictures be your guide.

I folded the antenna mast around 0.5mm dia steel wire, inserted and glued in a paper tube which I installed in the fuselage before, and resulting in a strong construction. The aerial is 0.3mm dia steel wire, bent 90 degrees downwards at the rear side and inserted in a small hole at the top of the rudder. A small piece of paper is wrapped around it for correct thickness.

Then comes the air cooler outlet damper, at least that's what I think it is. Small plastic rods are used to keep the plate in place. The instruction drawings were not so clear as to how correctly position the rods but internet has a wealth of information.

Other small parts are the aiming device on the nose (not included), the pitot tube (included), the retractable step (not included) and rudder cable details (not included).

Finally drops of white glue on the rudder, belly and dorsal lights to turn them into actual bulbs. To get the desired shape, let the glue dry thoroughly and then again apply small glue drops. Three drops per light .

I experimented with a bit of dry brushing, grey for the tires and dark grey for the exhaust trails.

After the last small paint touch-ups I coated the model with a final layer of matt varnish, applied with a flat brush, which somehow results in a slight satin look, to my opinion more realistic then a pure matt finish.

To end with, two pictures of the finished model. Taken late at night with artificial light, so a bit yellowish. Next time a photo gallery, so stay tuned!

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9839.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9840.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9862.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9863.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9865.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9867.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9818.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9866.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9864.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_e9852.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_e9855.jpg  
Old 04-21-2019, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
Amazing job on this beauty ,recently got my copy from orlik , just need time for it...
A-7 olympus
Old 04-21-2019, 01:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Amazing job! Very inspirational.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Everything looks SO right with this. Congrats on another fine model.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Amazing....work of art

YOAV
Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, hawker hurricane, orlik