PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Erik

Keep the canopy open so we can see some of the cockpit details.

Great work

Isaac
Old 01-18-2019, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I like the way your fuselage segments fit so well. I'll have to try your method on my next project.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Erik,

I often do the same "skin first, formers later" assembly sequence. It can be problematic to make subassemblies too rigid too early and getting the skin jonits well is surely more important than having free formers in their exact place.
A detail left me guessing: there are tabs for the upper and lower skin from the tail section forward (part 31) but not in the middle. It is not very usual, right? I guess that the tabs link to different parts...
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Just masterful craftsmanship young fella!
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 01-18-2019, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.03 MB
Always loved the hurricane, maybe its because I live in the city in which so many were built. Or it could be that my father and my mother had a part of in building it. Also the factory where they were built is still around producing rail cars, Bilevels, and subways and trolley cars.
Google Adsense
Old 01-18-2019, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Erik,

I agreed with Isaac. With that much magnificent detailing in the cockpit, you need to leave the canopy open.

Great work.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Assembly of the fuselage

Thanks again for your response Gary, Consistseeker, MichaelS (eh...., I'm turning 55 this year; not exactly a young fella anymore ), Ricardo (see the remark on the tabs below), rmks2000 and Isaac (don't worry, cockpit will be open). Well appreciated!

The assembly of the fuselage is next. Correct placement of the cockpit area skins is crucial, so I started with gluing the aft section to the cockpit. Both formers must be glued back to back. The gluing tabs on the front side of the fuselage aft section are not used at this stage; the bottom ones will be used for the wings section and the upper ones for closing of the fuselage top just behind the cockpit, as can be seen in the last pictures.

There’s a bit of overlap between this part and the fuselage, which I deliberately left (perhaps it was intended in the design of the model?), as it perfectly creates the rail by which the canopy was opened and closed. In any case it’s not really relevant as the “rail” will be concealed later on by the canopy in open position.

Then come the cockpit skins, which go “butt to butt”. Here and there I placed small paper wedges to ensure that the mating skin parts flush with each other. As you can see on the right side of the fuselage I cut out the entrance “door”, which will be placed in open position, later during the build.

Finally, the front section of the fuselage.

When placing the various fuselage parts I tried to be as accurate as possible and up so far this approach has paid off. All parts fit perfectly and slowly the Hurricane takes shape!

Note that some of the pictures were taken at night with artificial light, explaining the color differences with the more natural daylight tones.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9371.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9373.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9374.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_e9375.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9376.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9381.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9382.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9378.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9379.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9380.jpg  

Old 01-21-2019, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
What a lovely job!
Old 01-21-2019, 10:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
I had this kit, but I gave it away to a fellow modeler. Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I admire it from afar.

Isaac
Old 01-21-2019, 04:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
It looks fantastic! Beautiful work Erik. Although I always go through these threads of large scales rarely commented. What you and many other boys do on this scale is incredible and I think any praise is little.
Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, hawker hurricane, orlik