PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-24-2019, 10:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Central wing section - 2

Next is wrapping the wing skin around the internal frame. There is not much information how to position it properly but after a bit of fiddling with the parts I found the correct one. The edge of the front spar needs to align with the front edge of the wheel bays. As you can see in the pictures, I doubled the protruding center pieces as they will certainly knick otherwise during handling.

First glued the underside and added pieces of scrap paper to reinforce the backside of the skins. Then carefully fold the wing skin around the leading edge of each of the formers and while working backwards, glue along the wing profile formers and the trailing edge.

Note that before gluing the upper wing skin sections, the wheel bays need to be finalized from the inside. Here and there the parts didn't fit properly and needed correction and paint touch-ups (Tamiya sky grey fits the color print best).

Then, trial fit on the fuselage, but where to exactly position the central wing section is a question mark. Something to ponder in the coming week....

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9441.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9442.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9443.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9444.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9445.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9446.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9453.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9454.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9455.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9456.jpg  

Old 03-03-2019, 02:15 PM

Central wing section - 3

Forgot to include the final three pictures to conclude the assembly of this section. As you can see in the first picture, some corrections were required to the wheel wells, to be done before closing the top skin. Next will be installing the wing section to the fuselage. Dry fitting shows a bit of trouble ahead.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9462.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9463.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9464.jpg  
Old 03-04-2019, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
looks great. wing to fuselage fit in 1/33 is always an apprehensive step. even in halinski kits if you are 1/3mm off it creates fitting headaches. dry fit a bunch of times, watch every bump/glitch correct then dry fit again. the later orlik kits have a small mixture of great fitting parts and some that need a little tweak. you've done a great job so far.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful work!

Don
Old 03-05-2019, 08:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
great job Erik

YOAV
Google Adsense
Old 03-05-2019, 11:37 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
I am sure all will pan out fine!

Fingers crossed...
Old 03-06-2019, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Fine progress, Erik If I got it well, the front wall of the main gear bay is the clue needed to align the wing skin.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 64.98 MB
Erik ,

Accurate and beautiful Model, great work.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.23 GB
Erik,

What a great job you are doing.

The details of your build are a great tutorial for me. I have always had problems with fuselages and look forward to trying your method of putting the skins together before inserting the former's. Brilliant.

Thanks for documenting this build, I am learning so much.

Paul
Old 03-08-2019, 05:51 AM

Central wing section - 4

Thank you Don, CMDRTED, Yoav, Kevin, Ricardo, Abir Merlin and bpgeygolpher. Well appreciated!

@ CMDRTED: This is my second Orlik model only but I think you're right in your observation. Most of the parts fit flawlessly and only a few need correction. In both models (the Mosquito was my first) some parts are colored wrongly. I didn't mention it before but the reinforcement sheeting around the horizontal stabilizers should be sand camo all along instead of partly light blue. Didn't correct it.

@Ricardo: Right! As I found out as well, it's the only clear (and obvious) reference line.

@bpgeygolpher: Glad to hear you find the thread useful .

Proper positioning of the central wing section underneath the fuselage caused quite a bit of headache. It can be placed anywhere, at least if you consider anything ranging between a few millimeters back and forth as "anywhere".

The fit between the rear side and fuselage appeared to be too tight. The paper has to be curved in order to properly align the shape of the fuselage bottom in combination with the wing fairing "tips". The only way to get a proper fit was to cut in the white area (where the air cooler will be placed later on) by about 2 cm to ease the tension, resulting in a small wedge size gap of little less than 1mm. As the cooler will be placed over this gap, it won't be visible in the end.

Before continuing I eventually decided to already glue the wing fairings on either side of the fuselage, as their position is exact, and this automatically results in the exact position of the central wing section relative to the fuselage.
This also resulted in a good overview of other corrections required to the central wing section to get a good fit all around and here and there bits and pieces of already assembled parts had to be cut away, unfortunately.

The transition piece between front side of the central wing section and fuselage (part no. 50) got damaged in the process of dry-fitting and needed redo. I partly cut it away, which explains the gap (third last picture). Luckily I scanned and printed the model pages before assembly and I used a spare copy to correct. The color differences are minimum (second last picture).

The front side of the wing fairings consists of several smaller parts, which were difficult to align. It would have been easier had the number of parts been lesser as the resulting small gaps needed restoring for as far possible (second last picture).

Finally, I couldn't resist to glue the open door in place on the right side of the fuselage.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9467.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9468.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9469.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9470.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9471.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9472.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9474.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9491.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9493.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9490.jpg  

Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, hawker hurricane, orlik