PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-04-2019, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Maybe the difference you mention (fifth picture) is related to a separate rudder. Anyway, it doesn’t look problematic…
Old 02-04-2019, 03:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Nice to see the fuse at this stage, looks nice
Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
Bp188

Hello Erik

The old Huribag is coming along great.
As for the dirt trail (exhaust fumes) on the side you mention, have a look at this pic of BP188 in the desert:

Hope this helps
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 02-06-2019, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by alzictorini View Post

Hope this helps
That's the one I also found! Thanks a lot! I've found several other pictures too and they all show the same downward curving exhaust trail towards the trailing edge wing root. It seems to me that the trail is longer in the WW2 pictures, compared to recent ones, not so surprisingly as modern fuels are much cleaner.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-hurricane2.jpg  
Old 02-06-2019, 09:40 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Erik - suggestion - be careful. The exhaust weathering could really dominate the model and probably not look right if it is as strong an effect as in the photos.

Print your profile pic life sized and give it a trial and see how it looks in the scale effect.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:00 AM

Tail tales

Thanks guys for your comment! Time for another update. Thank you Kevin for your remark of caution regarding the exhaust trails. I will definitely try it out first on the profile picture.

The horizontal and vertical stabilizer as well as rudder and elevator surfaces are tricky, especially the movable parts. They need to be carefully pre-shaped and glued together like the two halves of a shell. It would have been easier, and also possible, if Orlik had decided to combine certain parts into one, rather than individual parts to be entirely glued together.

The instruction drawings do not clearly indicate how the internal structure has to be positioned, which is somewhat frustrating. Particularly the rudder was a difficult assembly to make, the bottom edge partly consisting of too small petals and the front edge consisting of two halves making up one round surface. I didn't make many pictures of the in-between stages, I was too occupied with getting the job done in a decent way.

Eventually, things turned out quite well. Ensure that the horizontal stabilizer is in a true horizontal plane as indicated in the overview drawings. There is no V-shape but I found that the left stabilizer is slightly off-set and hopefully when the build is done I can correct that by slightly bending it down. Will use the wings for that purpose as reference, once the time is there.

Also the small position light on the rudder has been detailed, to make it stand out better.

A remark on the vertical fin: I reinforced this part internally with left over paper to make it stiffer and to avoid accidentally pressing through of the inside former.

That's it for now.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9406.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9407.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9410.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9411.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9408.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9416.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9417.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9418.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9419.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9421.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9422.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9424.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9425.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9426.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9427.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9428.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9429.jpg  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very fine work, Erik. It all seems perfectly aligned
Old 02-12-2019, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good work on the tail Erik.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Looking great! Worth the extra effort....
Old 02-18-2019, 05:55 AM

Central wing section - 1

Thank you Ricardo, David and Kevin.

The build continues with the internal frame of the central wing section. Nothing particular to mention here except for the fact that the pipe (in real, a hydraulic line connected to the flap activators?) that curves around the small container in the wheel wells (part of the landing gear retraction unit?) does not fit if you use the template provided with the model. A bit of an irritating moment but after fiddling with a small plastic rod, finally something acceptable came out that fits.

I punched out the black circles in the structural parts and glued a small piece of paper behind it (painted black), to accentuate the holes in the structure.

Next will be the wing skin around this part and hopefully it will become clear at which exact location the central wing section has to be positioned underneath the fuselage. At the moment a question mark...

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9438.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9439.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9440.jpg  
Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, hawker hurricane, orlik