PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-08-2019, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Great fit despite the alignment issues. I would not have thought to build up the wing to fuselage as you have. I usually build the full wing first. Thanks for the new technique (at least new to me).
Old 03-08-2019, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Erik,
If the wing root fillet's glue lines are clearly marked both on the fuselage and the wings, gluing the fillets to the fuselage fixes the wing position. The transverse joint between the wing skin trailing edge and the fuselage should give a good hint, too! I see, in picture 9, that there is no gap there. So, I imagine that you could choose how to position the wing and get to the same result.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
This build

Hi guys

I know as the builder you know where the weak points of a model are however, as with all Eriks builds,
It’s awesome!
If you didn’t mention it I probs would not have noticed.

A few years ago I made the Halinski MK I Hurricane, it’s very similar in construction and build process.

Looking forward to the end result.

Regards
Tertius Primus Erit
Old 03-14-2019, 05:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Air coolers

Hi guys, thanks once more for your reactions! Indeed, the marking lines on both fuselage and wings are clearly indicated and formed perfect reference to properly position the wings. For instance, as shown in the first picture, where you can see the left side fuselage marking. Also the letters "JV" formed an excellent aiming point.

Next are the air coolers. This Hurricane version saw service in hot climates like desert and tropics, and was fitted with more than average sized air coolers. For obvious reasons their shapes were curvy and it was a challenge to neatly join and round the paper edges. I always use small stripes of thin paper to mate on the inside, white glue and embossing tools (well..., it's just the cap of a fountain pen actually) to get the job done. Luckily the individual parts are accurate.

The second picture was included last time already in this thread but note the small strips of cardboard at the front cooler location, to position and properly glue the assembly in place.

The aft cooler still has to be fitted with a damper at its outlet but it will only be glued in position after the model stands on its own feet.

Tricky parts are the inlet sections of each cooler, difficult to shape and to glue the inside lining properly. The designer did not properly consider the differences in radius and paper thickness. It would have been better had the internal lining parts been printed on thinner paper, rather than on the thicker sheets. The strong curves caused delamination and needed quite a bit of trimming.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-wing-fairing.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9493.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9494.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9495.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9496.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9506.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9507.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9508.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9509.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9511.jpg  

Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
great work....this is going to be a beautiful bird...i like what you are doing.

YOAV
Google Adsense
Old 03-14-2019, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Your commentary on your construction techniques and methodology and the accompanying clear, close-up images are fascinating to see and very helpful.

As always, your craftsmanship is superb.

Don
Old 03-14-2019, 02:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Just found your build..amazing work , this plane is on my list as well....can't wait to see it finished
Old 03-15-2019, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Both the second and third pictures show that we share many assembly methods
Old 03-20-2019, 05:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Outer wings - Internal structure

Thank you Youv, Don, Olo and Ricardo. Yes, it looks like a simple model to build but at times all tricks that one can think of come in quite handy !

Next are the outer wing panels, starting with the internal structure. The model has the interesting feature to show details of the wing gun compartments and although it's optional, it would be a missed opportunity to not incorporate these details.

Additional inside coloring is required in the inner compartment to avoid seeing white areas through the holes in the structural members. Luckily the kit includes a spare patches of cockpit green (as well as for the sand/brown livery), which come in very handy for this purpose.

The design of the wings is such that the structures have to be glued to the central wing section (sanding of the inner wing profile former required for a good fit!) before wrapping the wing skin around, which is a complicating factor. Moreover, preliminary dry-fit of the wing skins shows that the center wing profile former protrudes too much and needs correction. Time to think of a proper mitigation plan....

In any case, all of sudden the model starts to look like an airplane and I'm surprised by its size: Approximately 30 cm (12 inches) long and at least 40 cm wingspan (16 inches). Although comparable to the Fokker D21 I built a few years ago, the Hurricane is certainly bigger.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9578.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9581.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9582.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9583.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9584.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9585.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9586.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9589.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9587.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9588.jpg  

Old 03-20-2019, 07:35 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Erik - I have been enjoying this, and it really is coming along well!

Tags
1:33, hawker hurricane, orlik