PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-07-2019, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Been following this one for a long time. Just lovely! I wish my canopies turned out like yours. Really well done.

Can't be far now! Then you can get back to that Ju-88

Cheers,
Dan
Old 04-07-2019, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Another great progress and pic...what glue do you use for plastic while doing canopies?
Old 04-08-2019, 01:32 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Well done on the canopy Erik - this is the one thing that really puts me off aircraft.

And the use of an off black is something I believe should always be done in a scale model - where the "scale effect" tends to tone down colour - as does the perception of colour of the real thing when viewed at a distance.

I used to like Tamiya Tyre Black when I made plastic models. Now I mix whatever is to hand.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very fine work with the canopy, Erik The small handles give a wonderful touch! The acetate is cold formed? Despite seeing the picture, I didn't really get how the curved shape holds so well
Old 04-08-2019, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.53 MB
Canopy

Hello Erik

I’m loving the canopy jig. Great piece of engineering and a great build. Looking forward to the completed hurribomber.
Well worth the five star rating buddy

Respect
Tertius Primus Erit
Google Adsense
Old 04-08-2019, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The canopy and cockpit are a feast for the eyes.

I appreciate your clear narrative and all the crisp images to explain how you perform your magic.

Don
Old 04-10-2019, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.04 MB
You are a master builder and a great explainer. This thread should be saved as a great tutorial on how to realize the "definitive" Hurricane.

I join Ricleite asking you how did you manage to have such a well formed canopy with the acetate trying relentlessly to return to its original flat position (as it does all the time). In the 4th photo the canopy is clearly keeping shape on itself. Did you glue also an inside frame to the internal face?
Old 04-11-2019, 05:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The propeller

Good day PM's, thank you so much again for your reactions! Canopies certainly seem to spark off a lot of thoughts and emotions....

Just to come back on the subject and to respond to Ricardo's and Tonino's questions: Basis for the canopy is the template provided with the kit. The foil that I used is not thicker than normal printing paper (0.1mm). Strong but still flexible.
After cutting out the foil of the sliding part, I pre-shaped it over a dowel and by gently shaping it in between my fingers. Then I glued the outside frame over it, first one side and then the other. I applied glue to the entire frame, which is essential for holding shape. This approach inevitably requires quite a bit of cleaning up of excess glue with a tooth pick but, so be it.
Then I put clothing pegs on all corners, at the same time maintaining the approximate required shape of the canopy and let it dry for a couple of hours. By doing so the firmly glued frame sort of holds the shape of the acetate (foil) quite well after drying and removal of the pegs.
Same procedure for the internal frame. The resulting sandwiched assembly is surprisingly strong and maintains it shape even better.
Of course, with a pre-molded canopy this elaborate procedure is not a necessity, but for a canopy built from scratch it's a different story.

The windscreen was prepared in a similar way.

A bit of new progress - the propeller is finished now and this changes the appearance of the model significantly (or not??). I used wooden sticks to reinforce the propeller blades (strictly not required but these are vulnerable protruding parts) and pieces of a pin to fix the blades on the already assembled hub.

Lining out of the blades at the proper 120 degrees angle interval is simple by drawing the center lines on a piece of board and to glue the blades on the hub accordingly.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9808.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9809.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9810.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9816.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9817.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9818.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9819.jpg  
Old 04-11-2019, 05:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Very impressive build. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
Super, from the first to the last little detail. Perhaps an idea to change the POTW we have now had for several months?!
Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, hawker hurricane, orlik